Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kenjutsu in Atlanta, GA

Likes (received)

Default Kenjutsu in Atlanta, GA

Any Kenjutsu in Atlanta, GA? Not looking for kendo or iaido.

Thanks in advance.

Likes (received)

Karl Friday teaches Kashima Shinryu at the University of Georgia. You might start your search with him.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    Karl Friday teaches Kashima Shinryu at the University of Georgia. You might start your search with him.
    Thanks! I'll look into that.

Also, do you know if he's in Atlanta or Athens?

Likes (received)

Not sure. But even if he's in Athens, that's a pretty reasonable commute by koryu standards-- definitely worth it for a good instructor.

EDIT: This might be helpful: http://www.uga.edu/history/people/people.php?page=11
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    Not sure. But even if he's in Athens, that's a pretty reasonable commute by koryu standards-- definitely worth it for a good instructor.

EDIT: This might be helpful: http://www.uga.edu/history/people/people.php?page=11
    Yeah, it's in Athens. With Atlanta traffic, that's a 2 hour drive. No way I could get there after work in time for the start of practice. Training is also only open to enrolled students at the University of Georgia...

I guess my search continues. Shame, Kashima Shinryu looks pretty interesting.

I emailed Mr. Friday. Maybe he'll offer some advice.

Thanks for the help.

Likes (received)

Mike,

I think you do yourself a disservice by refusing to consider the -do arts. With kenjutsu especially, the first 5 or so years is spent on mastering the basics and building the body alone. You can easily do that at a kendo dojo and then continue with a koryu art when you're in a better position, especially if it is one of the Itto ryu.

I actually did it in reverse, starting with kenjutsu in Japan and then continuing with kendo when I got back to the US, so there is plenty in common for me to improve my kenjutsu doing kendo. I would love to be able to get to Atlanta and practice more but haven't had the time.

Good luck
    Ben Persons

"Kimi ga yo wa, ama no hagoromo mare ni kite."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sukeyasu View Post
    Mike,

I think you do yourself a disservice by refusing to consider the -do arts. With kenjutsu especially, the first 5 or so years is spent on mastering the basics and building the body alone. You can easily do that at a kendo dojo and then continue with a koryu art when you're in a better position, especially if it is one of the Itto ryu.

I actually did it in reverse, starting with kenjutsu in Japan and then continuing with kendo when I got back to the US, so there is plenty in common for me to improve my kenjutsu doing kendo. I would love to be able to get to Atlanta and practice more but haven't had the time.

Good luck
    I tried kendo for a bit when I was in Japan. Granted, it wasn't long enough for me to get any real understanding of the sport, but I still don't think it's something I want to pursue.

Iaido does not interest me, either. I prefer an art that also incorporates jujutsu in its curriculum.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Likes (received)

Sort begs the question of what, exactly it is that you expect to practice in your ideal school.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gendzwil View Post
    Sort begs the question of what, exactly it is that you expect to practice in your ideal school.
    Ideally, an art that has more than just one focus. Kenjutsu, jujutsu, etc. Beggars can't be choosers though, I guess.

Likes (received)

Well kenjutsu is, by definition, pretty focussed. Sounds like you are looking for some kind of sogo bujutsu which is even tougher to find.

You might want to assess your local options more realistically and consider something like a combination of kendo and judo.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gendzwil View Post
    Well kenjutsu is, by definition, pretty focussed. Sounds like you are looking for some kind of sogo bujutsu which is even tougher to find.

You might want to assess your local options more realistically and consider something like a combination of kendo and judo.
    Yes, my "ideal" is unrealistic for my location. I know this. Kashima Shinryu is out since non-UGA students are not allowed to train there and Karl Friday is going to be in Japan for a few years. There's a group that invited me out that does Hakko ryu and Shito ryu and I'll see how that goes. Not Kenjutsu, I know. I merely posted in this forum just in case there was a ryu in my area that I didn't know about.

Thanks for the help, though.

Likes (received)

Hi Mike,

You may want to ask the Zen center if they teach Hojo. It is the first set of kata in Jikishinkage-ryu. This is very strong kenjutsu and it is closely related to Kashima Shin-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and modern kendo. http://www.zen-georgia.org/index.html

Good luck,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Default Followin up...

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    Hi Mike,

You may want to ask the Zen center if they teach Hojo. It is the first set of kata in Jikishinkage-ryu. This is very strong kenjutsu and it is closely related to Kashima Shin-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and modern kendo. http://www.zen-georgia.org/index.html

Good luck,
    This is a few years old now...but did you find a dojo in Atlanta?

Also the Zen centre does not teach this kata anymore...
    Thanks.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Haftel View Post
    Yeah, it's in Athens. With Atlanta traffic, that's a 2 hour drive. No way I could get there after work in time for the start of practice. Training is also only open to enrolled students at the University of Georgia...

I guess my search continues. Shame, Kashima Shinryu looks pretty interesting.

I emailed Mr. Friday. Maybe he'll offer some advice.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi Mike
    I recently met the Kashima group at UGA. They are open to non UGA students training with them but you have to be really nice and polite while asking. I think thats the option for most training- you ask nicely and they might open the doors to you....sort of like a brotherhood ...
    Also I am in Atlanta and have the same issues as you...shoot me an email and maybe we can work out something. (also sent you a PM)
    Cheers
    Tom

Likes (received)

Exclamation

Hello Everyone,
    I'm posting to this thread to let people know that I am now teaching and accepting students in Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu at Takamatsu Dojo, a private dojo in Decatur (a part of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area.)
    THSYR is a comprehensive koryu art that includes an extensive kenjutsu curriculum.
    I can be contacted at tsyr@amemurakumo.net or at Takamatsu Dojo on FaceBook.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!