Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese God ?

Likes (received)

Thanks Tom. That is great, as it shows what the statues look like with that stupid mesh in front of them. Props to you too, for correctly identifying the statue in the first place .
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

I really have no life... I did some more surfing and came up with this stunning picture to illustrate just how easy it is for great things to go unnoticed. Here is the building that houses the two statues (Bishamonten and Komokuten). It is right on the street, forming the main gate to the temple grounds.

It isn't an enormous temple and its location in Nishitokyo means it doesn't feature on every tourist's list. There is a Daruma Doll Festival in March, mentioned on the Japan Times list, which says it has approx. five stalls selling Daruma dolls - compare that with the festival at Jindaiji, Chofu (another suburb of Tokyo), which has 300 stalls!

I'd like to thank Prince for giving me something interesting to look at. I would probably have walked past this statue without even noticing it. On the photography site, he mentioned that he tried taking the picture in daylight but you couldn't get the detail, so he went back at night.
    David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    ...Here is the building that houses the two statues (Bishamonten and Komokuten).

Actually, the gate houses two different statues, which I believe are niou. Here's a different view of that gate from the Web site linked to earlier:

Are Bishmonten and Komokuten housed on the other side of this gate?
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 9th June 2010 at 04:46.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Sharp vision Brian! Those must be the two other pictures on the photographer's site.

So come on Prince. What's your story? How did you come by the first picture and what else do you want the detectives to tell you?
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post

So come on Prince. What's your story? How did you come by the first picture and what else do you want the detectives to tell you?

I was curious about the japanese gods were a while back and I googled it. I found the photograph liked it very much and was thinking of using to spice up a flyer. I had the photo saved in my hardrive for about a year now , until recently I just had no idea what it was and who it belongs to.

You guys are all awesome !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2