Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Teppo Do - Way of the Gun...Lesson One...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    Sounds like you've been hanging with too many unreconstructed Black Panthers. They used to say the same thing about the Pigs.
    A person can be foolish enough to subscribe to blind racism and still be intelligent enough to tend to his own well being. Malcom X was a racist par excellence and rivaled any KKK Grand Dragon, but he did have a very practical outlook on personal defense.

If you wish to trust your very life to the good intentions of a man who is forcibly taking your property with a firearm, that is your life to gamble with.

I'm not the Vegas type and I long ago learned what some people are capable of.
    كافر

Likes (received)

Richard - or Patrick.....whichever it is...

I follow you.

What is your experience?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    Richard - or Patrick.....whichever it is...

I follow you.

What is your experience?
    Martial Arts: 30+ years

Japanese, Okinawan and Chinese systems.

Firearms:

30+ years of shooting lots of things that go bang.
    كافر

Likes (received)

Well, as I write this, F16s and F18s are flying over my house, as part of the annual air show. In the event one of the pilots has a flashback and mistakes me for Osama, I suppose I could try to get a surplus REDEYE.

I should probably get some RPGs, too. After all, Strykers have run over cars around here.

Or, maybe I just need to quit playing Fantasy Violence, and worry about what happens in my corner of the universe.

About 88% of the children who get mental health treatment through the state Crime Victims' program had been sexually assaulted, and about 40% of the adults had been sexually assaulted. Source: Michelle New and Lucy Berliner. 2000. "Mental Health Service Utilization by Victims of Crime," Journal of Traumatic Stress 13(4), 693-707.

The physical and sexual violence fits patterns, and is rarely very imaginative. (Okay, there was that fellow in Enumclaw who rented out farm animals, but as far as I know, he didn't abuse children.)

As for the local gun violence, here are a couple recent examples, none involving carjackings by persons unknown, most involving people getting killed.

1. The local police chief, the one brought in to clean up corruption in the department, shoots his wife in the parking lot, in front of their kids, then shoots himself.

2. According to the papers, a 350-pound man savagely attacks a 140-pound female police officer, who bravely fights him off without recourse to her firearm. This sounds heroic, until you read up on the folks, by name. The woman is a 29-year-old Triathlete. Meanwhile, the man is in his 50s. He stands about 5'5" tall. He has had multiple back surgeries, can't walk without his cane, and needs to stop to rest every couple hundred feet. His heinous crime? Shoplifting a steak from the local supermarket. Between us, I agree with the police chief that his officers require additional training, but not the firearms training that the chief was using this story to pitch.

3. County worker, has some issues, probably involving erectile dysfunction. He and his wife argue. The cops get called. The cops stay outside because they guy waves a .44 Magnum. The wife and kids sneak out the window. One shot is heard. A couple hours later, after the robot sounds all clear, the cops go in. Guy is dead. Autopsy report reads cause of death is gunshot wound to head.

4. The family calls the cops because the guy is abusive. The cops show up. Everybody knows everybody; the cops have been to the house before. The guy shoots the cops. Before they die, they shoot back. The guy dies, too.

5. A local deputy sheriff on administrative leave (for cause) gets in an argument with his inlaws. He shoots his inlaws, then shoots himself.

Bottom line? Lots of guns, lots of dead people, no carjackings in the bunch.

But your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Joseph Svinth; 20th June 2010 at 20:00.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post

Bottom line? Lots of guns, lots of dead people, no carjackings in the bunch.

But your mileage may vary.
    Sometimes you find the civilized world simply isn't.

Bad things can happen to good people.

Police usually respond to, rather than prevent crime. The likelihood of having a cop present when you are attacked is slim.

Violent crimes are committed with guns, knives, swords, sticks and bare hands. The common denominator is a criminal willing to use violence and anything as a weapon.

This often leaves the individual in a situation where he has to defend himself to the best of his ability, with whatever he may have from guns, knives, swords, sticks and bare hands.

So for me that means having the greatest possible advantage over those who would do me or my family harm. Grenade launchers and flame throwers often require some set up time and can be hard on the home decor. So I usually go with something like this.

كافر

Likes (received)

just to point this out richard meadows aka Patrick Thomas is not using his real name and is violating e-budo policy and was thrown off budoseek for basically starting the same argument
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2