Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kenjutsu

Likes (received)

Default Kenjutsu

Hey all, I've been very interested in learning some kind of kenjutsu, the only problem is that I live nowhere near a school, which seems like it might be a problem for many others in the U.S. What I want to know is, what resources are available? How to go about learning something like kenjutsu? And any suggestions on self practice? Thanks!

Likes (received)

Hello Matt,
    I know of Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu, Nakamura ryu, and kendo dojo in San Francisco. That's three choices for Japanese sword arts off the top of my head.

It is pretty much impossible to learn a Japanese sword art without having a legitimate instructor to provide you feedback. You can buy all sorts of books and DVDs, but you'll never really understand what it is you're trying to do.

My suggestion is to go to the sword arts section of this forum, and ask about sword arts in San Francisco in the dojo finder forum. I'm sure there are probably more than the three I know of, and I can give you contact information there.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattua View Post
    Hey all, I've been very interested in learning some kind of kenjutsu, the only problem is that I live nowhere near a school, which seems like it might be a problem for many others in the U.S. What I want to know is, what resources are available? How to go about learning something like kenjutsu? And any suggestions on self practice? Thanks!
    Perhaps you might consider ordering a DVD such as the one from Mr. Stephen K. Hayes, and maybe a book or two. If it piques your interest you should seek out an actual school or instructor to provide proper feedback and such. I am almost certain you would have at least a couple choices in the San Fran area.
    Josh Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattua View Post
    Mr. Turner,
    Do you actually live in or near SF? There are a number of of iaido and kendo dojos in the Bay Area. If you are actually interested in learning kenjutsu then it is worth your time to investigate this. Be prepared to have to do a little work to have to find a school, and that the study of kenjustsu/kendo is a lifetime endeavor. If you don't really want to learn then do whatever you want.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by joshbrown View Post
    Perhaps you might consider ordering a DVD such as the one from Mr. Stephen K. Hayes, and maybe a book or two. If it piques your interest you should seek out an actual school or instructor to provide proper feedback and such. I am almost certain you would have at least a couple choices in the San Fran area.
    HI

I wouldnt recommend anything by SKH his swordsmanship is nasty to put it nicely.

If you are to get a dvd to view for interest I would suggest one of the Budokan series or something on Seitei iai or Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu

these would be a much better example of 'Real' Japanese swordsman ship
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo