Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any info on Kenyu-Ryu?

Likes (received)

Default Any info on Kenyu-Ryu?

I have recently begun studying Kenyu-Ryu Karate in Brazil. But this particular style seems to be very scarce. I cannot find any information on itīs origins, or any interesting facts about it. In wikipedia it lists all(well, apparently just most) styles of Karate andg gives facts and comparisons. I really would just like to know the roots, the differences from my style, etc etc in my art compared to others. I am farely new, so Iīm not exactly full of resources and knowledge haha. The only article that I could find was in Portuguese and doesnīt tell too much, only of the founder Takamassa Tomoyori and the person responsible for bringing it to Brazil, Akio Yokoyama. Iīde like to know as much as possible...is it still practiced in Japan? Anywhere otuside of Brazil and Argentina? And my Portuguese isnīt the best, so naturally, I have difficulty reading these articles.
    Thanks!

Likes (received)

Hi,
    If you go here: http://www.kenyuryu.com/ and use google translate, you can find useful information on your art such as history, lineage etc. There is also a list of dojo's including your honbu dojo: 〒 536-0004
    大阪市城東区今福西2-14-2 Joto-ku, Osaka 2-14-2 Imahukunishi
    Regards
    Sean Halpin

Likes (received)

Thank you very much. I just had some trouble with the translations haha...they didn't come out very well I think. I was able to find out some of the history(in Portuguese) by uses google translator so thanks for that as well. Apparently the style is known for it's circular movements and complexity, but I'de just like to know how exactly this is, and how it compares to other styles. I'm still learning about martial arts in general, so I'm just very interested in all the facts and comparisons. Thanks again!

Likes (received)

Hi,

I took a look at the style on youtube. At a glance the style is very japanese as opposed to Okinawan. Their strikes during kata go to the center.

They do pinan or heian katas which are more or less shotokan. Some of the other katas I saw were more go-ju oriented. I saw a brief part of seiunchin a version of tensho and sanchin.

Be aware they are not exactly traditional as far as the Go-Ju katas I saw. Do not take me wrong they were very well executed. They were not the accepted versions as far as main stream Go-JU. The Shotokan katas were more traditional.

They seem to be very good fighters and overall very good karate.

I just do not want a begginner to think this style is going to be found everywhere. It is very hard to find good Karate. I would give them a thumbs up overall as long as you are aware the style was probably originated in the last 20 to 30 years or so.

Kevin Moskie
    4th Dan Okinawan Go-Ju Ryu
    Kevin Moskie

Likes (received)

Well my instructor is the son of Antonio Fernando Pinto, who was directly taught by Akio Yokoyama in the 60's I believe. And he defeated the world champion in 1976(or 72). And it said that it was founded in 1939. I was reading more and using a translator and the man who founded it studied Shito-Ryu and Goju-ryu. It also said that it's known for it's circular movements and complexity and for being very technical. Maybe my ignorance of other styles is what's keeping me far from my answer. I just figured that a style this old would have more history and be more spread like Shotokan or Kyokushin. It seems to be relatively unknown for it's age, so I'm interested in this as well. Wikipedia has a comparison of karate styles...I will give the link for it, but maybe somebody could make these types of comparisons for me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._karate_styles

Thank you very much for taking your time to help me out people!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kmosk View Post
    They do pinan or heian katas which are more or less Shotokan.
    Let's see if I understood that correctly. If you're saying that their version of the pinan (heian) kata are similar to the Shotokan version then I'll take your word for it and I won't argue!

But the pinan kata itself is a traditional, although recent, set of kata that originated in Okinawa. They were created by Anko Yasutsune Itsou sensei. Even though he was one of the many teachers of Funakoshi sensei it's doubtful that he taught it to him personally. Instead most sources indicate that Funakoshi learnt the pinan kata from Kenwa Mabouni several years after Itsou-sensei had passed away. By then the kata had been taught to school children in Okinawa for many years.
    Andreas Rasmussen

Likes (received)

Hi Folks,

Just off the top of my head. This is heian nidan and then a version of a pinan. They are very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNN7...eature=related

That is why I said more or less shotokan. The heian version is a JKF practitioner. The Pinan version is Kykushinkai. Mas Oyama was also a student of Shotokan and GOJU. They are a bit diffeent but very similar.

Here is Wikipedias definition:
    The Pinan (平安?) kata are a series of five empty hand forms taught in many karate styles. The Pinan kata originated in Okinawa and were adapted by Anko Itosu from older kata such as Kusanku and Gojushiho into forms suitable for teaching karate to young students. When Gichin Funakoshi brought karate to Japan, he renamed the kata to Heian, which is translated as "peaceful mind".

Most if not all karate styles were named and claimed by teachers once they named the style. This does not mean what they taught were new. They taught what they leaned from their teachers. Yes you are correct the pinan or heian kata are older than the name shotokan itself.

Once you rename what you are teaching and mix two styles it is considered a new. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Again I'm not being critical of this style. I'm just saying it as a style is not that old. The history could very well be exactly as preesented. But the history of the katas are older than the style name.

Kevin Moskie
    Kevin Moskie

Likes (received)

Hi all,

This is in response to the statement as far as this style not being "wide spread".

There are many styles which are very old that some people may have never heard of like Toon Ryu or Pan Gai Noon (uechi ryu). The style you are learning seems to be traditionally taught karate. Meaning hard work and brutal work outs.

Real karate is not easy. Watered down karate is very popular. Real karate is not popular. Most people are interested in rank rather than the value of what is taught. That is why Mcdojo's are packed full of students and real dojos are like ghost towns.

Be glad you have found a good style. Stay with it and perhaps you can spread the style in the future.

Kevin Moskie
    Kevin Moskie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kmosk View Post
    That is why I said more or less shotokan. The heian version is a JKF practitioner. The Pinan version is Kykushinkai. Mas Oyama was also a student of Shotokan and GOJU. They are a bit diffeent but very similar.
    Yeah, I said if that was your point I wouldn't argue with you and I'm not about to change my mind. I still agree with you! ;-)
    Andreas Rasmussen

Likes (received)

IIIRC, Kenyu Ryu is the style founded by Ryusei Tomoyori the fellow from which the late Shogo Kuniba got most of his Shito Ryu instruction. Tomoyori was one of the few people to receive Shihan Menjo from Kenwa Mabuni. (the others were, Manzo Iwata, Chojiro Tani, Ryusho Sakagami, Ken Sakio, Hakuru Seiki and Masaru Watanabe).

So, rather than being "like shotokan" I would guess it's more like Shito Ryu.

Rob

Likes (received)

Smile

I have no argument with that one. 100% correct in my book. I used the Shotokan name because it was more recognizable.

Kevin Moskie
    Okinawan goju
    Kevin Moskie