Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ninjutsu or kobudo?

Likes (received)

Default ninjutsu or kobudo?

Most people on this forum are in the X-kans and say they do "ninjutsu". However, only a small % of the schools we study are actually nunjitsu.The majority of the ryu-ha our organizations study are actually "kobudo" (old warrior ways, or classical Japanese martial arts). Does anyone use this term to describe their training? Why or why not? Are you even familiar with it?
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan London View Post
    we study are actually nunjitsu.
    Nunjitsu

does this mean I have to pray in seiza now LOL
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by poryu View Post
    Nunjitsu

does this mean I have to pray in seiza now LOL
    And practice Wing Chun (geddit?)
    Adam C R Hurley -
    I know nothing - Manuel, Fawlty Towers.

Likes (received)

Default ninjutsu or kobudo

Quote Originally Posted by Evan London View Post
    Most people on this forum are in the X-kans and say they do "ninjutsu". However, only a small % of the schools we study are actually nunjitsu.The majority of the ryu-ha our organizations study are actually "kobudo" (old warrior ways, or classical Japanese martial arts). Does anyone use this term to describe their training? Why or why not? Are you even familiar with it?
    After looking at your web site, I see you have eight basic technique sets. Only one of stealth etc deals with ninpo from the Togakure-Ryu.I see where it comes from as you state your sensei was Hatsumi's first student.I have never in 40 years heard of nunjutsu? You are a kobudo organization as I see it. Why even mention ninjutsu or nunjutsu?
    Our dojo for the most part is a kobudo dojo. Even though in the 80s I was in 6 ninja mags and spent a few days with Steven Hayes. I did pick up a few cool things from him we still do.It is just part of our overall system.

Phil Scudieri
    ZNBR
    www.delawarebudokan.net

Likes (received)

I think Mr. London just made a typo, switching the i and the u. He is fully aware that it is ninjutsu, and is not suggesting that there is an art called nunjitsu.

Kobudo gets everyone thinking about Okinawan weapons, and ninjutsu a lot of times brings out the crazies. I say just call it Ninpo and be done with it.
    Last edited by EWBell; 28th July 2010 at 18:16.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

Thanks Eric.
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by EWBell View Post
    I think Mr. London just made a typo, switching the i and the u. He is fully aware that it is ninjutsu, and is not suggesting that there is an art called nunjitsu.

Kobudo gets everyone thinking about Okinawan weapons, and ninjutsu a lot of times brings out the crazies. I say just call it Ninpo and be done with it.

Yes, and if you don't mind that ninpo sounds like the lyrics of a Spike Milligan song, then you probably don't have ego problems.

I think everyone guessed about the typo, the problem nowadays is that too many people seem to be practicing nonjutsu!
    Adam C R Hurley -

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ElfTengu View Post
    Yes, and if you don't mind that ninpo sounds like the lyrics of a Spike Milligan song, then you probably don't have ego problems.

I think everyone guessed about the typo, the problem nowadays is that too many people seem to be practicing nonjutsu!
    LOL. I figured everyone but the gentleman whose post mine followed, knew it was a typo.

The problem with the names is that most non-practitioners are going to classify all martial arts into karate (karoddy). Even my wife asks, "Do you have karate tonight?" which usually is followed by me saying, "I don't study karate, so no. I do have ninpo tonight though." Absolutely drives me up the wall.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

LOL. I figured everyone but the gentleman whose post mine followed, knew it was a typo.
    Long time since I was called a gentleman LOL
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Sadly that record continues mate...

I think he meant "Phil Scudieri Esq.".......
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

The problem with the names is that most non-practitioners are going to classify all martial arts into karate (karoddy). Even my wife asks, "Do you have karate tonight?" which usually is followed by me saying, "I don't study karate, so no. I do have ninpo tonight though." Absolutely drives me up the wall.
    At least there is karate in your system, so she's not 100% wrong.

And I believe the term Karate Koppojutsu or Hicho Karate Koppojutsu was used by Takamatsu Sensei to describe some of the ryuha or material.

My missus asks if I'm "Going to Ninjas tonight" and her sister calls it "Judo Chop" (Austin Powers reference I believe). I now also train in Jeet Kune Do, but my mother refuses to hear the correct word and tells everyone it is Taekwondo, with one of those "well it's all the same isn't it" kind of attitudes to MA.
    Adam C R Hurley -

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ElfTengu View Post
    At least there is karate in your system, so she's not 100% wrong.

And I believe the term Karate Koppojutsu or Hicho Karate Koppojutsu was used by Takamatsu Sensei to describe some of the ryuha or material.

My missus asks if I'm "Going to Ninjas tonight" and her sister calls it "Judo Chop" (Austin Powers reference I believe). I now also train in Jeet Kune Do, but my mother refuses to hear the correct word and tells everyone it is Taekwondo, with one of those "well it's all the same isn't it" kind of attitudes to MA.
    True there is the Koryu Karate system in our organization as well as Takamatsu Sensei calling various ryuha Karate Koppojutsu. I'll never tell her that though. My mother calls it "ninja karate," so I can't win for losing.

There was a guy who worked here as a janitor, who told several tall tales. He said he had a 5th degree blackbelt in an art called Tung Kwa Do. Of course he got called out on that one, but it is a running joke here to this day.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber View Post
    Sadly that record continues mate...

I think he meant "Phil Scudieri Esq.".......
    I got the part on the misspelling, Please explain this?
    Phil Scudieri

www.delawarebudokan.net

Likes (received)

What needs explaining?

I simply pointed out that it wasn't Paul being referred to but yourself..That's all..

Ahh...

Sorry...I forgot that Americans don't use "esquire" to mean "gentleman" at all do you? ("Esq." in English English just means "gentleman" and since that was the term used in the post before mine, that was what I had used in my own post)...

Sorry to confuse you.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Thanks for the "English" Lesson lol

Phil Scudieri (Esq)lol
    ZNBR
    www.delawarebudokan.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast