Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In Memory of Iwata Norikazu sensei, who died this morning.

Likes (received)

Default In Memory of Iwata Norikazu sensei, who died this morning.

It is with regret that I have to pass on the news of my sensei's passing, Iwata Norikazu, holder of two menkyo kaiden, and hachidan hanshi, ZNKR, a leading practitioner of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, who died earlier this morning, aged 97.
    My condolences go to his family, students and friends, as he will be greatly missed.

For those lucky enough to practise with him and benefit from his huge breadth of knowledge, and for those unlucky people who missed out, here are a couple of clips in remembrance. Feel free to add more clips of him as you find them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poD7ywl0DQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mbE5PAKfAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OQa...1&feature=fvwp
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Rest in Peace Iwata Sensei!
    I had the opportunity to train with him and he was a wonderful teacher and man. I learned alot from the seminar I attended and I know that he was a inspiration and source of great joy to his students!!!! I wish all of his students and family the best in dealing with his passing. As long as we remember him in our hearts and minds, he will live on forever. Again you will be missed greatly!!!

また、狼より/ Jeff
    Jeff Collier

Likes (received)

My condolences to you, Tim, on the loss of your teacher. 97 years is a heck of a run. One thing that impressed me in the clips of Iwata-sensei that I watched was how good his iai was after he'd had a stroke! ご冥福をお祈りします。
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Ah, sorry to hear of his passing. I thought if anyone could live forever, it would be him!

I only trained under him once (and he was massively underwhelmed with one of my Eishin waza hehe) but he was nothing short of inspirational - both as an iaidoka and a teacher.

A sad loss to the JSA world.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

May he Rest In Peace.
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

My condolences also. Iwata Sensei has returned to the Source of all.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Default Condolances

Condolences from Yugenkan Dojo. We have a picture of Iwata Sensei hanging on the wall, and although I never had the chance to train with him, his writings have always been an inspiration to me.
    Dean Phillips

Likes (received)

Default Peace to All

Thank You for sharing this precious moment. May he rest in peace and serve our master in the sky. Domo Arigato
    Sensei Dan