Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Free practice in koryu: is it possible?

Likes (received)

excuse me, off topic here for a moment:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost...87&postcount=8

same name, same country, same post count (!),

different join dates.

is this the same guy?
    Griff Lockfield

"To bear what you think you cannot bear is truly to bear"
    - BUSHIDO by Inazo Nitobe

Likes (received)

Same guy. Interestingly, no posts since his last one telling us his flawed opinion on koryu?
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryuBudo View Post
    Greetings Johan,

All Koryu Bujutsu ryuha and even most of Koryu Budo ryuha in their curriculums have always included all free fundamental levels of kumite and also an ura level of kumite, free training component if you like, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread. But as I also already mentioned before there have never been many students of any Koryu ryuha (Bujutsu or Budo alike) who will managed to accomplish such an advanced level of training. Usually it takes approximately 15 – 20 years of intense and dedicated daily training just for someone to even start seriously learning and studying Go level of omote level of kumite. Which is still far away from Jo level of ura level of kumite that really is an entirely free training and free sparring. etc
    Greetings.... very interesting. Did you know that you have actually logged on the a forum where the moderator is a senior member of the Hyoho Niten Ichiryu? You can check this with Iwami Soke if you also speak Japanese. Also another person here is a the British senior representative. Another also living in Japan practicing at the Hombu. Thing is we have never heard of you. And I guess if we did 'free sparring' we wouldnt know each other for long either.
    Last edited by hyaku; 26th June 2017 at 12:54.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku View Post
    Greetings.... very interesting. Did you know that you have actually logged on the a forum where the moderator is a senior 'is' a senior member of the Hyoho Niten Ichiryu. You can check this with Iwami Soke if you also speak Japanese. also another person here is a the British senior representative. Another also living in Japan practicing at the Hombu. Thing is we have never head if you. An I guess if we did 'free sparring' we wouldnt know each other for long either.
    Apart from the above rather concrete answer we seem to be in an excellent company to answer another question.
    I do believe I have read jujutsu or yawara in Hyoho Niten Ichiryu exists. Now I can imagine with swords or any weapon for that matter free sparring is not really possible.
    In case you do train in jujutsu or yawara this might be a different matter?
    Or is it just not done?

Happy landings,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Hi Johan,

Obviously deferring to Hyaku here, as he will be far better informed, but you could start with this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YbZIEI5Gg

Go to 2:57.
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    Hi Johan,

Obviously deferring to Hyaku here, as he will be far better informed, but you could start with this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YbZIEI5Gg

Go to 2:57.
    That's cool! It might be that that techniques is from the jujutsu section. If it is representative of the ryu's jujutsu there will probably be no free sparring in it. At least not as regular practice I think.

Happy landings,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by johan smits View Post
    ...there will probably be no free sparring in it. At least not as regular practice I think.
    There is no free-sparring.

Agreeing with what Hyaku has said ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS, to spar using HNIR waza, you'd need to bastardise the techniques significantly to the point of them being unrecognisable as HNIR. Uchidachi cuts from shomen to the floor, and if shidachi is in the way, they are going to be hit. Hard. You can't do that - even with 'safe' weapons or armour - and not expect someone to get hurt.

There are elements of our seiho that are 'changeable' (i.e. I have had Iwami-soke change the waza if I allow an opening in my reaction) but this is not what could be considered free-exchange or sparring.

I think the last few responses ends HNIR's involvement in the concept of 'free practice in koryu'. Let's hope this thread can address other ryuha that actually do such a practice.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
    There is no free-sparring.

Agreeing with what Hyaku has said ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS, to spar using HNIR waza, you'd need to bastardise the techniques significantly to the point of them being unrecognisable as HNIR. Uchidachi cuts from shomen to the floor, and if shidachi is in the way, they are going to be hit. Hard. You can't do that - even with 'safe' weapons or armour - and not expect someone to get hurt.

There are elements of our seiho that are 'changeable' (i.e. I have had Iwami-soke change the waza if I allow an opening in my reaction) but this is not what could be considered free-exchange or sparring.

I think the last few responses ends HNIR's involvement in the concept of 'free practice in koryu'. Let's hope this thread can address other ryuha that actually do such a practice.

I think it does Scott.

Even so - Happy landings,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

It's so funny to see this question cropping up time and again with not just us but everything else. Everything has rules, even UFC and its predetermined.

Others use protection to allow them to try to be more realistic but for me no protection offers the element of realism.

If things were completely free then one of the fighters ends up in hospital or worst and this happens even with rules.

The only time I have done anything full blooded without protection "is" at embu but even then there is the element of knowing whats coming at full speed.

P.s Went on the YouTube link to find one of my personal photographs of Imai Soke taken from somewhere, possibly Hyoho.com Doesnt anybody understand the word 'Copyright'
    Last edited by hyaku; 4th May 2012 at 05:44.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Doesnt anybody understand the word 'Copyright'
    Not in today's society. The internet has done the same thing to it as it did to patience and perserverence.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    ...you could start with this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YbZIEI5Gg
    For any perusing this thread who don't already know: at the end of the demonstration (at 3:55) when the demonstrators come out onto the stage, the very tall gentleman is our own Sword Forum moderator, Hyaku.

(And, obviously, "KoryuBudo" (Grega Vodopivc) is not seen in this clip. I know whom I would trust with having correct information about HNIR...and whom I wouldn't.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

For some examples of free sparring, may I suggest you all watch 'battle of the nations' from youtube... along with associated links.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4P-...eature=related

(Personally I quite enjoyed the bit where a guy gets a large log dropped onto his head from a battlement, but you need to find that one!!)

As a further note, ambulances are usually involved in these events for things like broken limbs, in case you were wondering...
    From this you may draw the conclusion that free sparring even with blunt weapons may hurt a bit....
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    For any perusing this thread who don't already know: at the end of the demonstration (at 3:55) when the demonstrators come out onto the stage, the very tall gentleman is our own Sword Forum moderator, Hyaku.

(And, obviously, "KoryuBudo" (Grega Vodopivc) is not seen in this clip. I know whom I would trust with having correct information about HNIR...and whom I wouldn't.)
    I lost around 20 kilos since then!
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku View Post
    I lost around 20 kilos since then!
    On purpose, I hope, and not a poor-health issue.

(I lost 25 kilos in 3 months from diabetes, before being diagnosed and getting treatment; I almost died. I looked like a walking skeleton.)

Anyway, I hope all is well with you.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hello Brian No health problems but thanks for the concern. Just goody healthy outdoor living in the mountains, no pollution and good food. Avocado season now and good fresh fish straight off the boat. Old injury playing up though from using a hooked blade with one hand to clear jungle that weighs as much as shinken!

I really suffered with my desk job and put on the pounds although I trained hard. Standing letting 45 high school and uni students hit me on the head at Kendo to let them know what it feels like to win does not help the bone structure and joints either!

65 next month and probably back to the health I had 20 years ago
    Last edited by hyaku; 6th July 2012 at 09:15.
    Hyakutake Colin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast