Likes Likes:  0

Thread: gloved karate outside of Japan?

Likes (received)

Default gloved karate outside of Japan?

One recent development in Karate is the rise of Gloved karate in Japan. ShinKarate (or "new karate") aor gloved karate is basically Knockdown karate (as done in kyokushin) but wearing boxing gloves and allowing punches to the head. Basically it is karate kickboxing. The largest organization is Shinkarate, who calls their tournaments k-2, k-3, k4 or k-5, depending on experience and equipment (K-2 is adults with no protective equipment except gloves. K-5 is children with gloves, bodypadding, headgear, shinguards -you name it) .

An example of K2 from the shinkarate organization.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hv9p_-e1fI

Gloved karate is turning into a major part of martial art in Japan. Many independent styles and a few knockdown styles seems to be involved with it now.
    But how is it outside of Japan?
    I know the Shinkarate organization has branches in France, but has anyone come across it elsewhere?
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

I know that Haru Shimanishi has had connections with gloved karate and has trained fighters to fight in K-2, etc. but I have no idea how often he has done this or even if he still does. One of my former Muay Thai coaches fought in a K-2 gloved karate match back around '98 or '99 that I believe got the opportunity through Haru.

Haru was one of the original instructors of AMC in WA state USA and now runs HMC in Hawaii: http://hmcacademy.com/index.html

Besides him I have no idea if anybody else in the USA has had any connections with gloved karate and I don't believe I have heard of any gloved karate matches in the USA. I'm almost certain my former coach represented "chokushinkai" when he fought in the K-2 (http://blog.livedoor.jp/chokushin_hirano/).
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Default gloved

There's a freestyle Karate circuit in England which is run chiefly by the World Karate Association (part of the World Kickboxing Association) and the World Karate Council (WKC) which broke away from the WKA.

The WKC is also allied with the FSK (Freestyle Sport Karate) which has been around for years.

In the 1980s and 1990s WAKO and WUMA were among the main governing bodies.

Competitors wear light freestyle Karate mits, headguard, gumshield, groin guard and instep guard. To the best of my knowledge shin guards are not used and definitely not chest or face protectors.

Competition is (a) Points Fighting (not shobu ippon) which is first to 15 clear points.

Sometimes there are graduated scoring, for instance 1 point for a body punch, 2 for a headkick, 4 for a jumping kick. Sweeps are allowed but low kicks and strikes to the back don't score.

Or (b) continuous which is basically semi-contact kickboxing. The competitors fight for three three-minute rounds and the judges decide a winner.

You can basically hit each other fairly hard, but there is no real benefit to hitting hard so it's semi contact.

I competed in this circuit from 1995-2000 - so I haven't done it for ten years, it may well have changed a bit.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Interesting... maybe a little similar to Daido karate, but with boxe gloves... For me, in particular, this kind of gloves are very bad... We cannot grasp with it...

Likes (received)

It's not similar to daido juku, it's like K-1 rules kickboxing in a karate gi and the main difference is the matches are done in a tournament format not in a ring.

Makes the transition from shin karate (gloved karate) to K-1 rules rather seamless. It's actually rather smart and another way of A, B, and C class to start a competitor out in a lower bracket and gradually work them up before throwing them in with the sharks.

However, there is a lot of kyokushin offshoot gyms that get involved in this as well...

Like I stated my former MT coach fought in the K-2 in Osaka Jo around '98 or '99. I remember because I was the one opening and closing the gym while he went to do it..Kiyotaka Kato of Daido Juku was in his corner for the tournament.
    Osu!
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Hello Brian

You wrote:
    the main difference is the matches are done in a tournament format not in a ring.
    ================

But Daido Karate isn't in a ring... I've some friend that are competitors from Daido and they fight in a tournament format. Watch one fight of the 3rd World Championship, in Tokyo, Japan, 15 november 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKeoOaAWVU

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by atonfrc View Post
    Hello Brian

You wrote:
    the main difference is the matches are done in a tournament format not in a ring.
    ================

But Daido Karate isn't in a ring... I've some friend that are competitors from Daido and they fight in a tournament format. Watch one fight of the 3rd World Championship, in Tokyo, Japan, 15 november 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKeoOaAWVU
    Daido Juku also involves ground techniques, head butts, elbows, submissions, throws..which gloved karate does not. Daido Juku (Kudo competition) is more similar to MMA whereas gloved karate is more similar to K-1 rules kickboxing. Could a kudoka fight in gloved karate? Yes, very easily and I'm sure it has happened since I know quite a few daido juku practitioners also have done muay thai fights and have trained in muay thai around the world.

I think there is a glitch in Portuguese to English in understanding what I'm trying to convey or your understanding of Daido Juku and shin-karate (gloved karate). No disrespect meant. Pm me if you want to know any more since I have trained with people that have trained/fought in both disciplines.
    Osu!
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Hi Brian

Oh, yeah, I understand. You are completely right! Sorry my insistence

What about the "glitch" in language, it's normal... Sometime I have some troubles with english, you know, it's not my first language and I need look up a dictionary sometimes. But it is not your fault, of course.

But now it's clear for me!

Thanks by your patience.

Gassho!

Guilherme Fauque

Likes (received)

Your English is far better then the very little Portuguese I unfortunately speak! A good Brazilian friend of mine is coming over next weekend to stay with me (UFC event in Seattle next weekend we have tickets for) and I'm making it a point to make sure we get some good rodizio!
    I'm already salivating looking forward to the rodizio!
    Osu!
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Thank you - lol

Oh, UFC is very cool! I couldn't watch live yet... I wanted to go watch Anderson Silva and Belford, but could not...

I've been rooting for Lyoto Machida too, I like karate style of him.

Have a good event!