Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koho Igaku Shiatsu

Likes (received)

Hi,
    I'm searching for useful reference material on Koho Igaku Shiatsu. Unfortunately I haven't had any opportunities to attend seminars on the subject.
    Some sources claim this method of Shiatsu is very limited.
    As I have no training and very little source material of a how-to nature (most Hakko Ryu-related sources are somewhat reluctant to share any such without the hands-on experience to go with it.) I don't have an opinion at the moment.
    Regards
    Arne

Rocket Guest

Smile Koho Igaku Shiatsu

Arne,

Long time since we last corresponded. I am the American that studied in Japan (at the Hakko-Ryu Hombu) and taught in the U.K. for a number of years. Kirby Watson was our mutual friend. Anyhow, I have a Shiatsu certificate from Irie Sensei. Unfortunately, about the only Hakko-Ryu Shiatsu material you can probably find is the meridian chart. The instruction is virtually all hands-on and verbal.

Rocket

Likes (received)

Rocket

Welcome to E-Budo, I would like to know a little more about the way that shiatsu is taught in Hakko Ryu, is it a core part of the curriculumn, or a ancillary art? Do you learn healing aspects first and then combat aspects?

Oh, and before I forget, it is policy here for all posts to be signed using your full name. The easiest method is to set up a signature in your profile, that way you don't need to keep remembering.

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Rocket Guest

Default Hakko-Ryu and Shiatsu

Neil,

Sorry about the oversight on the signature. I've changed my profile as suggested. Just in case it didn't register properly, my full name is Roy Jerry Hobbs.

Speaking from my experience at the Hakko-Ryu Hombu (1980-83), I would have to say that Shiatsu is taught as an intregal part of the art. Both combative and healing aspects were taught throughout the instruction. However, actual certification involved a separate course.

Likes (received)

Default Hakko Ryu and Shiatsu

Hobbs Sensei,
    Please drop me a line as I'd like to get back in touch.
    Regards
    Arne

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Arne,

Long time since we last corresponded. I am the American that studied in Japan (at the Hakko-Ryu Hombu) and taught in the U.K. for a number of years. Kirby Watson was our mutual friend. Anyhow, I have a Shiatsu certificate from Irie Sensei. Unfortunately, about the only Hakko-Ryu Shiatsu material you can probably find is the meridian chart. The instruction is virtually all hands-on and verbal.

Rocket
    I have more than one written handout, covering maybe the last 20 years of instruction. These are essentially "kata" for the entire typical procedure. I even have the full student manual, as well as these other documents. I am not sure how official any of this is, but these were handouts at various official training seminars by recognized hombu instructors.
    Richard Berman
    Hakkoryu Jujutsu & Koho Shiatsu Igaku
    Shihan #3362, Hakkoryu International
    www.hakkoryu.com

Likes (received)

Hi Richard,
    Is there anything you can put up without breaking any trust?
    I think back in the 80's there was a Black Belt Magazine article about Hakko Ryu that talked about Koho Igaku Shiatsu but with no details.
    Over the years that sort of inspired me to look at different books and demos of shiatsu but I never ran into anything on Koho Igaku Shiatsu except for some things one short article about not touching the injured area and some general ideas about meridians.
    Is it similar to any publicly taught shiatsu school?
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Shodai Soke Okuyama Ryuho, the founder of Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu, established the final methods for both systems..Koho Shiatsu is not a massage it is not made on bare skin, no oils are used, and the goal is not to loosen one muscle group or a joint.