Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with this Karate book

Likes (received)

Default Help with this Karate book

I received this book as a gift a few years ago and just came across it the other day. Can anyone translate the title for me? I used to have a translation of the book but I can't locate it now.

Thanks in adavance.

Jimmy Crow
    --------------------------------
    Time is the most precious asset of those who seek perfection in the arts.

Likes (received)

My Japanese (and certainly my Kanji recognition ability) is getting worse and worse (more than 20 years since I lived there) but this wasn't too difficult

首里 = Shuri
    少林流 = Shorin-ryu
    空手道 = karatedo

Hope it helped
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

That helps a ton.

Thanks Guy!
    Jimmy Crow

Likes (received)

Crow-San, do you know who the author is? Seems like I have seen this book and it is surely something to do with Shorin-ryu.

Likes (received)

I'm sorry Dusty I don't know the authors name.

Jimmy Crow

Likes (received)

According to a quick search on the net, the author of "Shuri Shorin-Ryu Karatedo" is Yoshio Nakamura (10th dan)

see http://www.budoshop.co.jp/Karatekosho2008.html
    Guy Buyens

Likes (received)

This book makes me realize again, that, despite the fact that many influential teachers of the island migrated to mainland Japan where Karate continued to develop Into its existing form, the development of Karate in Okinawa also continued.

Modern-day Okinawan karate has several styles or schools of which Shorin-ryu is certainly an important one. Nevertheless I find the term Shorin-ryu in use by many branches.

Itosu already used the name "Shorin-style" to refer to the Shaolin style of Chinese boxing that was at the origin of his karate, but the first person to use Shorin-ryu specifically as the name of a style was his student Choshin Chibana. Later others would also use this name, hence a certain diversity on the island regarding this school (or group of schools). Chibana's style is also referred to as “Kobayashi Shorin-ryu” and is the origin of the major streams of Shorin-ryu in modern day Okinawa. From this came the Shido-kan branch (not to be confused with mainland Shidokan), based upon the name of the dojo of Katsuya Miyahira (one of the most senior students of Chibana). Another of Chibana's students, Shugoro Nakazato, created Shorinkan Shorin-ryu and Higa Yuchoku (who also had trained with Chojun Miyagi) started his Shorin-ryu Kyudokan school.

Another Shuri-te development can be found in Shorinji-ryu, established by Jyoen Nakazato, who studied under Chotoku Kyan.

Although the influence on Shuri-te masters is recognized, I believe that little has been preserved from the famous Tomari-te school, as thought by master Kosaku Matsumora. His student Kotatsu Iha did pass his knowledge to Seiyu Nakasano who opened a dojo to try and preserve Matsumora-ha karate. Nakasano‘s student, Iken Tokashiki founded the Gohaku-kai, an association based on both Goju-ryu and Tomari style. Another Tomari-te connection can be found with Shoshin Nagamine, student of Chotoku Kyan (Shuri-te) and Choki Motobu (Tomari-te and Shuri-te). Shoshin Nagamine created Matsubayashi-ryu. The name Matsubayashi-ryu, uses the Chinese character matsu (pine), to honor both Sokon Matsumura (Shuri-te) and Kosaku Matsumora (Tomari-te). Although Matsubayashi-Ryu is sometimes also referred to as a Shorin-Ryu, it should not be confused with the schools that originated from Choshin Chibana and his students.

Less clear for me is where Yoshio Nakamura, the author of the book “Shuri Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do”, fits.

I find reference to Shinpan Gusukuma (also called Shiroma). Although Shinpan Gusukuma was, like Chibana Choshin, a student of Itosu , I was always convinced of him to be close with his other fellow student, Kenwa Mabuni, with whom he trained in Naha-te. It is also said that he established an organization in Okinawa, called the Shinpan Shiroma Shito-ryu Preservation Society.

If Yoshio Nakamura would be his student, I would expect the book to be called Shinpan Shiroma Shito Ryu instead of Shuri Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do. Any-way, you made me curious.
    Guy Buyens