Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Koryu in Australia?

Likes (received)

Question

I would like to compile a comprehesive list of Koryu in AUS.

Here's the ones I know about, listed by state. I must credit Daniel Lee with finding most of these, his web site is at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1276/index.html. But the details are sketchy in most cases. Please add or update the information and let us know about your school or training group.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA/NORTHERN TERRITORY
    Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido
    Katori Shinto Ryu Keishinkan
    Tsutsumi Ryu Jujutsu

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
    Hokushin Shinou Ryu Iaido
    Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu
    Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
    Toda-ha Buko-ryu Naginatajutsu

VICTORIA/TASMANIA
    Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido
    Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo

NEW SOUTH WALES/A.C.T.
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu
    Ikeuchi Dojo
    Suio Ryu Bujutsu
    Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
    Sousuishi Ryu Jujutsu
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heihojutsu
    Takenouchi Hangan Ryu,.

QUEENSLAND
    Hokushin Shinou Ryu Iaido
    Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

I second that Neil! Oz is a big country, and the net is helping us all get in more contact. If anyone has information on the koryu in Australia, please post it to this thread. Any detail(s) would be great. Personally, I'm especially interested in:

1. dojo name
    2. ryuha name
    3. representative/instructor
    4. history in Oz/how got to Oz

Thanks in advance!
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Ok Koryu in Australia eh,

1. Dojo Name - Currently training at Swinburne University, Hawthorn Melbourne.
    2. Ryuha Name - Shingen Ryu Kenjutsu, Eight Shield Method.
    3. Instructor/Sensei - Matsugi Tanaka Sensei.
    4. History in Oz - My sensei (above) was introduced to Wakashema (spelling??) Sensei by his Shotokan Karate Sensei through the Brisbane World Trade Centre...did that make sense?

Well lets just hope that there are some others out there...

Ps: Anyone wishing to train with us is welcome, just give me a mail for the details on: michaelg@mannin.com.au

Michael Griffiths

Likes (received)

I have the email address of Paul Steadman of Dubbo NSW, who is forming a Koryu Bujutsu Renmei. He would be a good start.

Contact me privately, as I am not too sure if he would like to release his details publicly.

Tim Atkinson
    Shinto Muso Ryu 神道夢想流
    Shinto Seishin Ryu 真途静心流
    Gold Coast, Australia

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Australia

Hi Everyone,

As Tim Atkinson and Daniel Lee have mentioned, I am in the process of facilitating the formation and incorporation of a koryu bujutsu/budo renmei (or koryu federation)in Australia. I am happy to pass on my contact details. Please let me know if you are interested or have any input to offer in the formation of a koryu federation. So far I have recieved a lot of feedback from many licensed instructors representing legitimate koryu from Japan (all listed in Daniel Lee's web-site). My e-mail address is pbs@globalfreeway.com.au, please contact me, it would be great to hear from the greater koryu community! All the best...

Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

I think that a man named Graheme Dunn teaches Tsutsumi Ryu somewhere in Queensland and learned from Jan de Jong in Perth.

I am not entirely sure of this but I remember someone told me they were learning Tsutsumi from him in Queensland. I am also not too sure on how traditional he is in his teaching and interpretation of the art.

Maybe you could get in touch with him.

Sorry for being so ambiguous
    Yours in Budo
    Dale Elsdon
    (Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu)

Likes (received)

Dale,

Graham Dunn, is a Jujutsu instructor but to the best of my knowledge has no authority to teach Tsutsumi. There are a number of instructors that have attended seminars over the years and incorporate a number of our techniques into their styles. At one stage Pat Harrington made mention of someone (it may have been Graham, I can't remember) as a successor to Jan De Jong in one of her books but the information was incorrect.

There is only one person outside of Perth that I am aware of autorised to teach and you train with him! (There may be two by the end of the year, depending on how I do in my gradings in October!)

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
    Dale,

There is only one person outside of Perth that I am aware of autorised to teach and you train with him! (There may be two by the end of the year, depending on how I do in my gradings in October!)

Neil

Are you grading for your B/W in October?
    I am grading, hopefully, 5 of 7 parts of mine in October.
    I will be in Perth from the 1st Oct through to the 15th Nov.
    Email me if you are also going to be there, as I'm sure we could both use some willing attackers.

Yours in Budo
    Dale Elsdon
    (Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu)

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Koryu in Australia?

Liam Keeley, a long-time practitioner of Tatsumi-Ryu Hyoho and Toda-ha Buko-ryu Naginatajutsu and member of the Board of Directors of the International Hoplology Society has recently relocated to Melbourne, Australia.

Keeley-sensei's move to Oz is a wonderful gain for Australian martial arts. Contact details are at some Australian koryu bujutsu information

Likes (received)

Wink

Melbourne, why Melbourne? It's much nicer up here in the North West, aren't there any Koryu Sensei out there that want to relocate to Broome?

Regards

Neil

Likes (received)

That's it - I'm sold! You got any room for a new student in your dojo Neil?!

Neil,

During a recent trip to Mallorca, Spain to teach a seminar, I met some of your countrymen from Broome. Quite nice folks. They were marveling at the beauty of the Baleric Islands. After seeing the above picture I guess they were just being polite. Very nice!

Toby Threadgill

Likes (received)

Thanks guys,

You're welcome at anytime Dan. I don't have a dojo, just train on the beach. Usually by myself, SMR Jo kata's (Seitei and Omote Series) followed by whatever takes my fancy. If there is someone else along then a little Jujutsu or two person weapons stuff.

The more the merrier!

Toby, Spain is nice but at least we speak passable english and have good beer!.

Anyone wants to plan a holiday let me know, I work at the best resort around!

Regards

Neil

Likes (received)

Default I'm there

Send me a ticket and I'll be there

Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

mmFJK Guest

Cool Koryu in Australia?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know were I can find a classical martial arts dojo in the Brisbane, Queensland Area of Australia? Or have a list or something............ I would love to get into classical martial arts but I am moving to the given location this winter. For me it is hard to find information about that area so I figured with all the people on e-budo, someone must know something.

Thanks for your help,

-Aaron Cross

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast