Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Koryu in Australia?

Likes (received)

Aaron,

What kind of martial art are you looking for? Ko-budo is quite a unique form of Japanese culture, and you would do well to research your interest carefully through readings in the Skoss' works at www.koryu.com and Ellis Amdur's work, Old School at www.ellisamdur.com to gain an appreciation of what the koryu are, what you might gain from the study, and what would be expected of you.

Specifically with regard to your question, there are several groups teaching iai (sword drawing) or jodo (staff) in the Brisbane area - you might like to check here as a starter.

Sincerely,
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Aaron,

I second Daniels response, and depending on what ryuha you would like to train in, you may well find that the same ryuha is taught in your present location.

This would allow you to go and witness first hand, just what it is you are interested in. It would also allow you to start training now and would provide a good introduction to the Brisbane dojo.

Check out the link to Daniels page, it has many links.

I am living at this time is Sydney and train with Paul Maloney and others in Shinto Muso Ryu Jo. Pauls contacts are on Daniels page. He can put you onto most of the others who practise Jo in this country.

I am also moving up to Brisbane early next year so I maywell meet you sometime.
    Tim Atkinson
    Shinto Muso Ryu 神道夢想流
    Shinto Seishin Ryu 真途静心流
    Gold Coast, Australia

Likes (received)

Thumbs up New Australian koryu websites

I'm delighted to announce the establishment of new koryu websites for two groups here in Australia.

www.jojutsu.com is the new Australian Jodo-kai national website.

www.schoolofmartialarts.com.au is the website of Hennie de Vries-sensei (Goju-ryu) and Liam Keeley-sensei (Toda-ha Buko-ryu, Tatsumi-ryu), teaching in Melbourne, Victoria.

The new sites are a wonderful step towards educating fellow Australians on koryu bujutsu and kobudo, and make these arts more available to enthusiasts.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Thanks for the thumbs up Tim - the check is in the mail!

Here is some more information on some wonderful new Australian koryu websites too.

Best,
    Daniel Lee

Benjamin Peters Guest

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Australia?

For those that may be interested, Yagyu Shingan Ryu (Australia) has it's new website up an running.
    www.shinganryu.org

Regards,

Simon
    Simon Louis

Likes (received)

Very nice Simon.

I attended a YSR Seminar about 4 years ago at the PYC in Falcon street. I enjoyed it immensely.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Hello,

Yep Simon, great site. A lot of thought and work went into this website from the look and content there! I've known Phil Hinshelwood-sensei for about 14 years now, an excellent instructor and jujutsu/bukijutsu practitioner. I've also met Shimazu-sensei a few times and attended 3 of his Australian seminars. YSR is a very good koryu art, very comprehensive and effective (I've had the ouch factor applied to me by both Phil-sensei and Shimazu-sensei). Great stuff.

Cheers,
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

We are currently experiencing a few photo problems with our website. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Simon Louis

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Australia?

Hi, I am Jason Wotherspoon, owner of the Secrets of Shuriken Website and I would like to announce that I have formed the Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group and am inviting martial artists from any background, based in the Brisbane/South East Queensland area in Australia, to join and come train with me.

Interested parties can either reply here or join our Facebook group page at Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group.

I will be teaching basics of Shirai Ryu and Negishi Ryu throwing styles, as well as the accompanying history and information that I have available, and hope to build a strong Shuriken-jutsu community here in Brisbane.

Requirements are that members must be aged 18 years or older, of sound health and good mental attitude.

I will organize regular but occasional informal training days, details of which will be announced here and on our Facebook page.

I encourage interested parties to join the Facebook page as it will also be a portal where we can share information, photos, ideas and news etc.

thanks for reading,
    Jason Wotherspoon

Likes (received)

Default Knife Combat and Defense classes in Brisbane, Aus.

Hi all, in addition to the Shuriken training I am offering, I would also like to announce the formation of a study group and commencement of classes in knife combat and defense, with the Brisbane Knife Combat and Defense Study Group.

Interested parties can reply here or visit the Facebook page.

Knife work is mainly from Philippino Kali and Escrima, and I will be integrating it with Aikido, which I believe fits in seamlessly.

The study group is unaffiliated, and in the future we will be looking at inviting instructors from various styles and systems, for seminars and workshops.

I have been training in martial arts for almost 25 years now. My main arts are Iwama style Aikido, Shirai-ryu/Negishi Ryu Shuriken-jutsu, and Yang style Tai Chi, along with Shotokan Karate, Hatsumi-den Ninjutsu, Tong Long Kung Fu and Escrima/Kali. I have been doing a lot of private study and informal "backyard" training with a number of players in various arts, mainly Escrima and also Yi Liq Quan Kung Fu. I have also been practicing Mantak Chia's Healing Tao system for over 25 years, which includes a system of Iron Shirt Chi Kung and Bone Marrow Nei Kung, along with meditation and other internal energy work, so hopefully people will feel that I have something of value to offer.

please feel free to contact me for further info.

Jason Wotherspoon
    Brisbane, Australia

Likes (received)

Hi, note to admins...I would like to edit my original post for accuracy, but cannot find edit buttons. Could someone help please.

Likes (received)

Go ahead and post the new information and I'll edit the old.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Hi Jason,

What are the connections between Meifu Shinkage-ryu and the koryu shuriken ryuha that you listed? I understood from the guys over here that MSR shuriken came from TSKSR?

All the best,

Scott
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Hi Scott,

Shirai Ryu and Negishi Ryu do not have a connection with MSR as far as I know.

MSR comes from Chikatoshi Someya Sensei, of Sugino line KSR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast