Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami

Likes (received)

Default Japan Earthquake & Tsunami

I can't find any postings here yet regarding this, so I thought I should start one.

My best wishes and thoughts go out to the people of Japan in the wake of the devastating earthquake and tsunami earlier today.

It is my sincere hope that all of our board members, teachers, training partners and their families are ok, but it is difficult to look at the footage without fear that there are many fatalities.

Kind Regards

Neil
    Last edited by Neil Hawkins; 11th March 2011 at 11:45.
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Likes (received)

I'm shocked! What a sad images! Here in Brazil we don't have idea what really is a earthquake, tsunami and so on... we don't have great natural disasters, so it's really difficult to measure this kind of disasters...

I just can send my prayers, my feelings, my regret and my desire of hope that all things have a good end.

Gassho!

Likes (received)

My wishes and prayers go out to those that have been affected by the earthquake and tsunamis. Lucky so far in that those that I know in the Kanto area are safe. Was in quake myself although was a lot less. Worst one
    I`ve been in so far. Mostly the damage is in Sendai area.
    Jeff Collier

Likes (received)

Given that we felt slight aftershocks as far as here in Nagoya, I don't doubt you guys were quite shook up in Kanagawa. I can't even imagine what it must have been like in Miyagi and Iwate.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Yeah, just looking at picts on news......... its like wow doesn`t even cut it..... Just glad this wasn`t during training time.
    Jeff Collier

Likes (received)

Those of us around the world are watching the intensive TV coverage with a mixture of awe, fascination and increasingly a great sadness as the human cost becomes more apparent. Nowhere is better prepared than Japan, but nowhere can ever be safe from the tremendous power of Nature when it chooses to unleash itself.

Press and Media coverage has been near-instantaneous and of good quality. In this age, it has been supplemented by many personally-filmed clips from cameraphones, uploaded onto Youtube and similar internet-based platforms. I found some of these to be a lot scarier, as the close-up, mundane views of ordinary life... disrupted and thrown into chaos... really bring home the fear and human experience of the events. Add those to the helicopter-filmed footage of giant monsters crawling across the land carrying trees, cars, poles and houses(!), chasing cars and trucks up the highway.. I've been sitting at home after getting back from a night-shift, and I can't take my eyes off the screen.

My wife's family live in Tokyo, which has not been affected by Tsunami, but has been paralysed by a shutdown of the public transport and railways. We don't expect to hear anything from them for some time. Many many aftershocks, some as high as 6 on the Richter scale.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

My wife's family are in Ibaraki Prefecture and have not suffered any losses or immediate damage other than no electricity or running water at this time. The worry at the moment is what's going in at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
    Gene McGloin

-Truth does not require your belief in order to function.

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

It's been one hell of a year for those of us stationed over here in Japan. I'm on a forward-deployed ship out of Yokosuka, and we were in port when the earthquake hit. We spent the next 25 days off the coast of Sendai/Fukushima tracking navigational hazards and sending our helicopters to shore to try and locate and pockets of survivors that the JGSDF had not been able to get to yet.
    I'm incredibly impressed with the generosity of my shipmates as we donated so many hundreds of boxes of food, clothing, sanitary and hygene products for the people of Japan. Of course, most of us feel like our Japanese hosts are more like extended family with many of the relationships that we make over here.
    Still, it was one event that scared the hell out of us.

- On another note....I'm glad to be back on e-budo! It's been a long time.
    Jon Bracamonte
    Toyama Ryu/Soga Ryu Batto Jutsu
    Former Shorinji Kempo punching bag