Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nanban Kito ryu

Likes (received)

Default Nanban Kito ryu

Hello,

Last days I was reading about a menkyo that Konishi Yasuhiro sensei obtained from Fujita Seiko sensei, a scroll named Nanban Kito ryu. Anyone knows about it? I am a spanish koryu researcher and I am particullary interested in martial traditions trained in the special circle performed by Ueno Takashi-Mabuni-Konishi-Fujita-Sakagami.

I will be very pleased if anyone can tell me something about this kind af Nanban Kito ryu.

Kind regards from Spain,
    Xavier Teixidó
    www.shoshinkanbudo.com
    Xavier Teixido
    Aikijujutsu, Nihon Jujutsu, Koryu Bujutsu
    www.shoshinkanbudo.com

Likes (received)

"Nanban"? Isnt that what the Japanese called the Portugese & Spanish traders?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Well, I don't want to go on any kind discussion about Nanban meaning, because in this case obviously doesn't means western barbarian from Portugal or Spain, but southern unrefined. No noun follows the word Nanban, so it dont' refers to any people. In sword guard world, Nanban means China,... (Southern western) so I supose that Nanban Ippon ryu, Nanban Sato ryu Kenpo and so other ryuha related will concern to something that comes from "China hand" ...

There is very few info from Nanban Satto ryu, and I was very surprised the day I read about a Nanban Kito ryu tradition, from Fujita to Konishi.

So, I will be happy if any one Knows about this related to martial way, and not to language implications.

Kind Regards,
    Xavier
    Xavier Teixido
    Aikijujutsu, Nihon Jujutsu, Koryu Bujutsu
    www.shoshinkanbudo.com

Likes (received)

Namban was often used to refer to anything foreign or imported, and later, things that came up to Kyoto or Edo via Kyushu.
    Kabuki uses the term to refer to a reversal of the normal hand/foot positions.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by korin taky View Post
    In sword guard world, Nanban means China,... (Southern western) so I supose that Nanban Ippon ryu, Nanban Sato ryu Kenpo and so other ryuha related will concern to something that comes from "China hand" ...
    Keep in mind that Nanba is also a common term, such as in Nanba Ippo-ryu. I often see people getting Nanba and Nanban confused, when they are completely different words written with completely different characters.

Rennis Buchner
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Right! Point taken
    When you have a head full of interesting, but useless info like me it happens
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius