Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A 2 part question

Likes (received)

Default A 2 part question

Good day all, I am new to e-budo so please bear with me if I make some mistakes. I have a 2 part question and would be open to any and all comments. First I moved to Japan in September and have come across a term in my iai dojo that I do not recall hearing in iai in Canada (they probably said it I just didn't hear it. I'm not very bright) The term is kakari te. I looked it up and the best idea I get is hanging or hooking hand? This term was ued in congunction with mochi te. The second part is how does mochi te and kakari te play a role in seiza no bu mae from MJER. I have some idea just curious what my betters think. Thanks for any help.

Sincerely Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)

Hi Reg

Hope you're settling in. I've never heard kakarite in reference to iaido here in Canada, the term is usually used for the opposite partner to motodachi when doing kiri kaeshi. Perhaps the term was used in reference to ZNKR iai number 11? It is modelled on kiri kaeshi.

Kim.

Likes (received)

Hello Taylor Sensei,

Thanks for the reply. When I looked up the term on the net that's what I got as well from kendo. Settling in here well. Good iai training. Good aikido dojo and started Hozoin ryu Takada ha, good dojo hard on the legs! Thanks for your input! Take care.

Sincerely Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)

In kendo kakarite 掛手 refers to the attacker and motodachi 元立 refers to the receiver in any two person drill.

In the action of cutting, in kendo sometimes the left hand is referred to as hikite 引手 and the right hand as oshite 押手 in reference to their action at the end of the cut, in other words, tenouchi 手の内.

Perhaps kakarite and mochite in your context may refer to one hand "attacking" and the other "carrying"? I don't know if that makes any sense from what else your sensei have told you. They're not terms I have ever heard in kendo or koryu, but that's not saying much.

b

Likes (received)

I have nothing to add other than to say it may be helpful if you explain the context in which kakari te was used.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Thank you all for your input. The context used for kakarite and mochite was used in how they are used in seiza no bu mae. What are/ should be my thoughts in their use while performing this waza. It was stated as a question that I have to write an essay on. Since my language skills are a work in progress and NO ONE speaks english at the dojo this is the best I can come up with. So far I "think" it has to do with how the left hand grabs the sword and the right hand pressures kaso tekki? Don't know if that makes sense. Thanks again.

regards Reg Sakamoto
    Reg Sakamoto
    a student of applied kinesiology through combatives.

Likes (received)

I'm not 100% on this as I too have never heard this word before but here are my thoughts on it. I base this on my general knowledge of the Japanese language and how I have been taught Seiza no Bu.

When drawing the sword, your right hand should be placed lightly on the tsuka. Your palm does not touch the tsuka and there is a gap between the tsuka and the web between your thumb and index fingers. In other words, you should 手をかける (te wo kakeru) or use "かかり手 kakarite." The draw is done entirely with the fingers. You should not be gripping the tsuka (持つ motsu or 握る nigiru, i.e. using 持ち手 mochite) until the moment you cut.

You should clarify this with your sensei or sempai. Ask them to show you both かかり手 and 持ち手. Then get to studying Japanese!!
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai