Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for Koryu sword arts in Fukuoka

Likes (received)

Default Looking for Koryu sword arts in Fukuoka

Hi everyone,

I hope that this is the right thread for this question, but I'm hoping to find out about kenjutsu or iaido koryu groups in the Fukuoka area. I was able to find an old 2006 thread on the subject here, and I wasn't really sure if it would be better to resurrect the old thread or just start a fresh one. I'm not sure how much might have changed in the intervening 5 years. I'd be grateful for any help that people are willing and able to provide.

I moved to Fukuoka City back in August for the JET program and I've been trying to dig up info since a teacher at my school introduced me to the concept of koryu shortly after my arrival. I fortunately stumbled onto this site a few months ago and have been amazed at the treasure trove of information and wisdom to be found here. A few caveats that might pose a problem: I came to Japan with almost no Japanese, and as you can imagine my ability with the language is still fairly limited at the moment. Also, I am pretty much limited to public transportation for the time being, though I hope to take the Japan driver's license test and get a car by the end of summer.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Mel Hayashi

Likes (received)

Mel,

Fukuoka is a great posting. I was down there at least a few times a year when I was still in Japan to compete at the Sekia Hills circuit. Anywho, there is plenty of Budo to be found and to get you started go here:

http://dojos.org/cgi-local/search/html/10_01_10.html

It's in Japanese so you'll need to use Google translate, but it has listings and contact information for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjutsu, Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, etc..

If you're within a reasonable distance from the Fukuoka Budokan you're sure to find plenty of arts to choose from. I know for a fact that a Daito-Ryu group trains out of there.

Hope that helps,
    Richard Stevens
    Richard Stevens

Likes (received)

Hi Mel
    What about the teacher who informed you of Koryu in the first place? If he/she has insight into Koryu I assume he/she has info on certain dojo as well?

Likes (received)

Thanks Richard, I really love it here. I've already recontracted to stay at least through 2012. I will see what I can find out from that site. The Budokan isn't that far away from my apartment i think, so I'll try to check that out as well.

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply! I did ask him before this actually. He practices Jodo and I actually had the opportunity to practice with them for a few months early in the year. It was the one koryu i was able to find, albeit accidentally. Unfortunately with the start of the new school year, my work schedule and obligations have undergone some changes that have created a direct conflict with practice dates/times. Not sure if/when things might change. =( Anyway, he does know of some koryu practiced in the city, but as far as i can tell, no details about them (just things he sees at prefectural budo events occasionally).

I noticed that the previous Fukuoka thread and a some of the others in this forum mention Niten Ichi Ryu as being located in the prefecture as well. It seems to be another style, like Jodo, that has strong historical roots here. I'd definitely be interested in finding out more. Does anyone know if it is still being practiced regularly around here?

-Mel Hayashi

Likes (received)

Try this website:
    http://www.nihonkobudokyoukai.org/location/

Click on the Fukuoka area on the map and you'll see a listing of Nippon Kobudo Kyokai groups in the area. Not all ryu are represented, but it's a start.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Mel, Since you are interested in Kenjutsu or Iaido I recommend finding a kendo dojo, which should be fairly easy for you to do. Ask the students or sensei there. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Likes (received)

I think there's Jikishinkage Ryu in Fukuoka if I'm not wrong?
    http://www.chineselongsword.com
    Ancient Manuals of Chinese Swordsmanship

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Chen View Post
    I think there's Jikishinkage Ryu in Fukuoka if I'm not wrong?
    Jack,
    I would be VERY interested to know if that is the case. Do you have any information on that?
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.