Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Koryu demonstrations & events in Japan

Likes (received)

Yes, very true. Perhaps "offshoot" was not the best word to use. That one group, however, did the kata quite differently from the way we and the way I have seen the Soke and Jiki-soke do the kata. In fact one sempai of mine was standing beside me during that particular demonstration and said to me in a whisper "zenzen chigau".

But I am just saying that they are different, and that niether of those pictures is of the Tokyo or Nagoya Yagyu Kai.
    Matt Rose

Likes (received)

Default Suginos at Meiji Enbu

Is this Sugino sensei's group?
    Hello!
    The first picture shows Sugino Sensei himself, the second shows Hideo Sugino, his son and a senior member of the dojo. I dont know her name.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Sorry to be a bother but I am unable to view the video. I get sound but know vid.

Thanks
    Master Yagyu once remarked,
    "I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself."

Jonah Matheson

Likes (received)

The banner in the back says "Shinmusohayashizakiryu".

Regards,
    r e n

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    The group in the video file is Shimazu Kenji's Yagyu Shingan-ryu Heihojutsu Chikuosha group, not Kajitsuka Yasushi sensei's Arakido group.
    Not that this has anything to do with this thread, but wanted to comment that I had the pleasure of meeting and training with Shimazu Sensei in Izu Peninsula this past June. Our group and he and his wife spent the evening at a traditional Japanese style hotel. Received as a gift a couple of his tapes and his training manual. Very humble individual. Did I mention the ukemi on the tile floors? That'll teach me to ask about a technique in the book.

Steven Miranda
    Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
    http://www.seikeikan.com

Likes (received)

Nice pictures and a very interesting movie clip!
    Bjørne Hoff

JamesAdamik Guest

Default Meiji Jingu Enbu Taikai Video?

Hello,
    I have been searching around the Internet, (and failing miserably i might add), for videos or dvd's of the Meiji Jingu Enbu Taikai that are anually on November 3rd. I am looking to find videos both of the last one and ones as far back as i can find. Does anyone know 1) if there are videos of these demonstrations for sale? and 2) where to get them? I appreciate any information you may be able to give me.

Finny Guest

The only ones I know of are the ones you probably are already aware of - at http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=307&page=2

The 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th and 14th Nihon Kobudo Enbu Taikai videos.

I'd certainly love to hear of other, newer videos.

JamesAdamik Guest

I saw those but i was hoping for one translated into english... hmm well is there a list anywhere specifying which ryu were at these events... at least that way i could pick out the names of the various schools before their demonstrations i figure the rest may be good on helping me with my horrible japanese

Likes (received)

Hi,
    the combination of a freeze frame and a dictionary should get you there. If you have some clue of japanese you will be able to find out the names of the schools. In most videos the also put furigana next to the names. The commentary in general isn´t always worth to be translated.

Regards,
    Karsten

Likes (received)

Hello,

There seems to be some confusion about the various kobudo demonstrations on this thread that I thought I should clarify.

The Nihon Kobudo Taikai is an event hosted by the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai and takes place each year on November 3rd at Meiji Shrine. On the other hand, the Nihon Kobudo Embu Taikai is hosted by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and takes place each February at the Nippon Budokan or other venues every other year.

While there have been some professional videos made by a company named Elcom which were previously mentioned, those were made with the cooperation of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and the Nippon Budokan.

There has never been any professional videos made of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's Nihon Kobudo Taikai at Meiji Shrine to my knowledge, although some people have made amateur tapes for their own private usage.

There was some discussion last year about a request by Bab Japan, the company that publishes the Japanese language magazine "Monthly Hiden," to video tape the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's 70th Anniversary demonstration last year but apparently nothing ever materialized. You can imagine the difficult that such discussions would entail, with up to fifty different schools participating, not to mention other legal matters like copyright issues.

Generally, many koryu practitioners are wary of being video taped. There is just too much opportunity for abuse that it doesn't make it worth their while.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Likes (received)

Default Mistake

I am sorry, but my previous comment on enbu photo of Shinakge-ryu was a mistake.
    I posted information from my friend, but it was wrong.

According to my investigation, the movie is Chikuosha group’s enbu as Steve-san said.
    I thought two people of a bald head to be the same person.

With a reference of my friend, the following movie was written as Yagyu Shinakage-ryu, too. However, this is Shingan-ryu kattchu-jutsu obviously.

http://silverwind.air-nifty.com/2005...i/p1040116.avi

Sorry again for my mistake.
    Mai Shikata

If you want to strike your opponent, you should let him strike at you.
    If your opponent strikes at you, he himself will already have been struck.
    -- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Hi,
    I am sorry if I caused any misunderstandings. I should have read the posting more carefully. My comments are of course only valid for the videos Ron mentioned and which are not the topic here.

Karsten

Likes (received)

Ville Penttilä

Internet is a vast liberal plot to destroy humanity and make the entire Earth blow up like a gigantic cake crammed full of homosexuals and foreigners

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oda
    Bumping my thread as I'm reorganizing my photo folder and decided to show couple of more pictures. I need help recognizing these ryus since the embu had so many different ryu-ha included that I have already forgot their names or never even got them.

I suppose this is Araki-ryu?
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...raki-ryu_3.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...raki-ryu_4.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...raki-ryu_2.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...raki-ryu_9.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...aki-ryu_13.jpg
    Yep it is Araki-ryu, as taught by Suzuki sensei.

Asayama Ichiden-ryu

Morishige-ryu hojutsu

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast