Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chi-Ishi Excercises

Likes (received)

Default Chi-Ishi Excercises

Hey all,

I made a Chi-Ishi and i am having trouble converting some of the movements into an excercise routine (if i can get it down to x sets of y reps of a movement, im more likely to keep at it, unfortunately)

Ive been basing it off of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qKW5e-PPw&NR=1

I am not a Goju-Ryu person, and know nobody who trains in it, so i haven't asked anybody in person.

I was hoping somebody knew of a website that went more in depth in the hojo undo than ive been able to find.

Likes (received)

Those exercises looks similiar to ones for indian clubs, club bells and mace.

Check out a guy called zenkahuana on youtube.

dps
    David Skaggs

Likes (received)

Default this is a few years late, but...

Pick up a book called The Art of Hojo Undo by Michael Clarke. It has good info about supplemental training and how to construct your own implements. The exercises you see Morio Higaonna perform in the video are pretty much standard to what we do in traditional Goju Ryu.
    I would suggest practicing the standard form of each exercise with about 20 to 25 reps each side for about 4 or 5 sets with a weight that is tolerable for you at first. Then as you are able to do it with more ease, make yourself a slightly heavier chi'ishi and keep the reps/sets the same. The conditioning should be gradual, not rushed or hurried.

Good luck!

Sean O'Leary
    "We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

Likes (received)

Thanks for this wonderful sharing. I have watched this video and these exercises are really wonderful. This is true that these exercises are looking same as Indian club exercises. Anyway good post.

Likes (received)

Sean beat me to it. I HIGHLY recommend the book he mentioned.

If you like more visual things, Morio Higaonna has done a Panther DVD on hojo undo where these are covered. A similar video was also done by Tsunami (Classical Fighting Arts) called "Power Training" that covers this and other exercises.

The Panther dvd can usually be bought pretty inexpensive. When I got mine, it was on sale for $6.99
    "Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."