Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ryuha-required conditioning training?

Likes (received)

I don't really know the weight. Mine is a 4"x4" at about 4' with a tsuka carved into one end. Isn't that about what yours is too Dave? It isn't as long or heavy as I'd like but it'll do for now. I supplement the furibo swings with sledgehammer levering as well. Keeps my grip strong for things like Daito-ryu. It also makes the regular Jikishinkage-ryu bokuto feel very light. Kendo bokuto, shinai and good shinken feel like they aren't even there. I do think it is very important to be able to use your sword for a very long time without tiring and the furibo does help with that!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

I agree with the previous comment about some posters holding a narrow definition of what suburi is. Suburi has different purposes, but one purpose is a form of internal conditioning. Especially when swung at slow speeds with a heavier / longer suburito or furibo. You can think of it as the "omote and ura" of suburi. Suburi is the main method I've seen taught, but many arts also incorporate some type of makiwara practice as well, most obviously, Jigen-ryu.

As far as iai goes, Nakamura Taizaburo Sensei was well known for specifically teaching suburi practice with heavy suburito such as what Chris described. I use a carved 4X4 as well, and have a set of three tetsuto (iron rod swords) that are of different weights. I also include makiwara practice (horizontal bundle of sticks) training and other methods for internal conditioning.

Sagawa Sensei from Daito-ryu had an extensive curriculum of internal conditioning practices he incorporated into his practice. He was also an exponent of Kogen itto-ryu.

I think one of the reasons you don't see these kinds of practices being taught more overtly is because they are not really keiko-type practices. They are things one is expected to perform in the off times, so others often do not see them as "part of the art".

FWIW,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2