Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Iaitos and UK airports

Likes (received)

Default Iaitos and UK airports

Anybody know about the practicalities of taking iaitos through UK airports?

As such swords are sort of illegal in the UK, I guess this could be a problem.

I want to bring one from the UK to Ecuador (where I currently live) and then later take it to Japan. Eventually bringing it back to the UK.

Is this feasible? Any advice from Brits who have taken swords to and from Japan would be much appreciated.

Graham Pluck

Likes (received)

You should have no problem taking iaitos in or out of the UK, they are not illegal in the UK. Just make sure it is securely wrapped and put in the hold. If you are travelling to Japan, just make sure the iaito is alloy and not steel. If you enter Japan with a steel iaito, it is likely to be confiscated, although,they will normally let you have it back on exit from Japan.
    I recently travelled with an iaito to Malaysia without any problems. However, the tanbo in my hand luggage was deemed to be a dangerous weapon and had to be returned to the hold.Large walking sticks are fine though, even if it appears you don't need it!
    Regards,
    Sean Halpin.

Likes (received)

bring your MA book as well, and be honest and nice when they ask you about it... Trying to recruit Customs staff by asking if they fancy having a go may not work, but why not try?
    should be ok if it is blunt. Sharp they get funny about if you dont have documentation...
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Hi
    I have taken mine in and out of the UK loads of times.

Just advise the airport either end when traveling and you will have no problems.

Make sure its packaged well. I used to use either a snooker cue bag or an artist extendable tube and then tape it shut, this way you prove you couldnt just get it out to use.

also make sure it is also in its cloth bag as well prior to packing this will prove added security to the airport.

If you have a club membership card of grading book also take that as that helps as well
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo