Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kiyoikaze Iaido Federation

Likes (received)

Default Kiyoikaze Iaido Federation

Does anyone here have any experience with this organization?

They seem to teach a mix of several different styles including Muso Shinden Ryu, Toyama Ryu, ZNKR Seitei Gata, Shindo Munen Ryu, Eishin Ryu, and Hosoda (??) Ryu.

Any help is appreciated.

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Strange group

Steven, I've never heard of this group, but doing a cursory survey of their iaido waza, it looks like they are taking bits & pieces from various ryuha & pasting them into its curriculum. But they're certainly not doing a very good job.

For example, they have five "Seitei Iai Iaido" waza listed, but as almost everyone knows, Seitei Iai consists of 12 standardized waza that are used for determining rank across ryuha, while this set appears to be suspiciously like the Zen Iren Tohoh waza from Eishin-Ryu's Chuden.

They also either can't spell, or are just lazy & inaccurate. I'm certainly not at all impressed.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Ah, these folks are in my neck of the woods, I've known Claude for decades but don't get much chance to see him these years. Their iai is basically Muso Shinden ryu through Mitsunari Kanai through Mitsuzuka Takeshi. The base art is of course Aikido through Kanai sensei who was my teacher's teacher.

Their curriculum isn't really a bit of this and that, it's MSR, then Batto ho (Kono Hyakuren's WWII set, still practiced in the ZNIR), the Bangai den ("other stuff" hanging around MJER), the Hosoda ryu is the San Shin Kai - Mitsuzuka sensei "shindo munen" set, then the keishi ryu, followed by what I presume is shindo munen ryu paired sets (I don't know these), ZNKR seitei and ZNIR seitei (toho) finishing up with Toyama ryu.

So if they're practicing all this they've got loads of time, but I can vouch for pretty much everything there being introduced into their line at some time or another, I've done most of it myself over the years.

Kim.

Likes (received)

Kim Taylor said, "Their curriculum isn't really a bit of this and that, it's MSR, then Batto ho (Kono Hyakuren's WWII set, still practiced in the ZNIR), the Bangai den ("other stuff" hanging around MJER), the Hosoda ryu is the San Shin Kai - Mitsuzuka sensei "shindo munen" set, then the keishi ryu, followed by what I presume is shindo munen ryu paired sets (I don't know these), ZNKR seitei and ZNIR seitei (toho) finishing up with Toyama ryu. "

Kim, how can it not be a bit of this and that and then say it is MSR and then name the eight or so other things they do? Am I missing something?

I'm basically looking for somewhere to learn the ZNKR Seitei Gata and have come across this group. What are your thoughts on their technical correctness of the Seitei Gata? Should these guys be more directly associated with a governing group in Japan to be considered legit or is having their own independent organization the norm for iaido?

Thanks for all the input.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wood View Post

Kim, how can it not be a bit of this and that and then say it is MSR and then name the eight or so other things they do? Am I missing something?

I'm basically looking for somewhere to learn the ZNKR Seitei Gata and have come across this group. What are your thoughts on their technical correctness of the Seitei Gata? Should these guys be more directly associated with a governing group in Japan to be considered legit or is having their own independent organization the norm for iaido?

Thanks for all the input.
    When I say not this and that, I mean they list the complete curriculum of each school they do, but yes they do more than one school.

If you are interested in ZNKR you won't want to practice with this group. They are not members of the ZNKR, but rather are self contained... at least the last I heard they aren't associated with any other groups, but certainly not the CKF.

If you are interested in ZenKenRen iai you can look at the AUSKF or CKF websites... if you're in Washington DC (sorry don't remember) you should look to the AUSKF. There are many good iai groups on the East Coast, and quite a few as well on the West if you're in Washington State.

Kim.

Likes (received)

I note they list both "Seitei Iai ZNKR" with the 12 kata, and "Seitei Iai Iaido" which is Tohoh I presume.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club