Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Samurai on campaign - Footwear

Likes (received)

Default Samurai on campaign - Footwear

How did the soldiers avoid trench foot while on campaign?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Samurai didn't fight in trenches?

Duane

Likes (received)

" In the late 16th century there were more guns in single armies in Japan than existed in all of England. In 1584 the battle of Komaki featured no cavalry attacks at all, and certainly no heroic single combat between samurai. The fight resolved into trench warfare with both sides dug in firing volleys of shot and exploding land mines. Hardly the romantic ideal of sword swinging samurai. " From Kim Taylor "Niten Ichiryu manual". he he I referenced myself. You'll find it in Turnbull as mentioned next.

Stephen Turnbull, (google samurai trench warfare) mentions 1468 in the Onin war, two sides behind barricades with a blackened burned no man's land between and a twenty foot wide trench down the middle. Featuring catapults.

How not to get trench foot? Dryish feet from straw zori? But who says they didn't get trench foot?

Kim.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Taylor View Post
    "

How not to get trench foot? Dryish feet from straw zori? But who says they didn't get trench foot?

Kim.
    So one side has to lose but both have to suffer the agony of defeet?

Likes (received)

Well my main peeve is the fact that Japan is a very rainy and moist country, at least most of the campaigning year. Granted its not cold most of the year, but still wet most of the time.

As I understand it, Japan has never been big on leather, as in leatherboots to protect the samurai feet! At least thats my impression, un-expert as it may be
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

From my readings (mostly Conlan and Friday) early on bushi wore bear skin boots, but these fell out of style in part because bugs would start living in them. After that sandals became more popular, though some low ranking soldiers went barefoot.

I imagine samurai warfare was tough on the feet.
    Daniel Mignerey

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Endboss View Post
    So one side has to lose but both have to suffer the agony of defeet?
    although your comment made me arch my eyebrows, it lacked sole and was a little corny.

Likes (received)

Mizu Mushi... Atheletes foot on the skin and under the nails is very common in Japan. Going barefoot indoors and 'sharing slippers' even in some hospitals does and "toilet slippers" not help at all. I managed to avoid most of that ranting my feet were too big to share slippers. They even come running after you with them! I think the biggest problem comes from sharing slippers not the weather. The weather is good ranging from a rainy season to very dry.

Now I live mostly outside in a mountain jungle I have similar problems to deal with regardless of wearing plastic sandals, boots or barefoot.

Straw sandals (Zori) were what most people wore. Good quality old style 'Seta' are again with a straw top and leather sole.

I was once the proud owner of a pedal power 'nawa' machine. The straw rope used to make zori. You fed the rice straw into three channels and the braided straw came out the other end.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

P.s I was once told told peeing on your feet helps.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com