Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Meiji-era sabre ryu? (not gunto)

Likes (received)

Default Meiji-era sabre ryu? (not gunto)

After the Samurai vanished (1878) and before the introduction of the more modern katana for the Imperial Armed Forces (gunto), the Army/navy used the western style sabre. I was wondering if any sabre fencing school is preserved to this day? Were there any Imperial Army ryu created during this period for the sabre? Such as the later Toyama-ryu were made for the new gunto?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Hey Fred, good question. Got a friend over here that does the western style fencing. I`ll try to pm him and see if I can get him to check around. Thanks for the congrads
    Jeff Collier

Likes (received)

The imperial saber method was something like sport saber of the time done with shinai and bogu. Over at Kenshi247.net they have a great translation of the 1909 Kenjutsu Kyohan by Isaac Meyer: http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/04/12...-1-guntojutsu/ There are other parts on jukenjutsu and jobaguntojutsu (mounted fencing). Good stuff!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.