Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shinsenka Ryu Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Shinsenka Ryu Jujutsu

Hello,

Does anyone know more information about Shinsenka Ryu Jujutsu? The dojo is located just north of Seattle and the head instructor is Andrew Hackett, 6th Dan.

http://nwjujutsu.com/default.aspx

I can't find any information about this ryu thru a conventional search and in the 'about' page it just states that Hackett Sensei has been studying MA since his childhood.

I haven't contacted the dojo yet. I'm just wondering if there is a lineage here or is an American creation? Lineage aside has anyone trained here and any thoughts on the quality of waza instruction?

Likes (received)

One of their friends listed is Aaron Fields - go with him and you will get both lineage and excellent waza instruction, in both classical traditions and modern grappling.

Likes (received)

thanks Kit,

Yes I'm aware of Aaron Fields and the Seattle dojo and intend to visit. I recently watched a Yabe Ryu demonstration at a local Japanese festival.

Just curious as to the origins and curriculum of the Shinsenka Ryu.

Likes (received)

The emblem on the 'About' page is that of Hakkoryu. It is possible that it's a Hakko ryu dojo, or probably more likely somebody who has split off from Hakko denshin ryu.

Likes (received)

I received a reply to my questions I sent to the dojo. I figured I will post it here so if anyone searches in the future they'll have more info. I appreciate Hackett Sensei's honesty and reply.

Thank you for inquiring after our school. This question comes up from time to time, and it’s always more difficult to answer in an email, rather than at the dojo.

From what I understand, my art is a family style my sensei learned as child through adulthood, taught intimately from his friend’s father to the two of them. Unfortunately I don’t have any information about my lineage beyond this, and I lack any documentation tying us back to the family in Japan.

As for Shinsenka–ryu, I formally named the art that when I opened the doors to our new school in 2007. While my sensei enjoys a more informal/intimate style of teaching and running a school, I have always had a deep appreciation for the traditions and etiquette that accompany a formal school, and the culture behind them.

I understand that these are questionable circumstances, and superficially damage my credibility. I however am quite confident that, once observed, our arts, students and school will not leave you suspicious of our authenticity.

I have been teaching in the area for nearly ten years, and have always had an open door policy. My students and I continually train with reputable instructors from the US and Japan, and I hope if you ask around, you will find I have a good reputation.

I hope also that rather then dismissing us for lack of documentation, you would give us a visit to see for yourself what we have to offer. After all, Jujutsu is best demonstrated on the mat, rather than paper.

I am happy to answer any more questions you have, and I hope you will visit us soon.

Kind regards,

Andrew