Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Okinawa No Bushi No Te by Ronald Lindsey

Likes (received)

Default Okinawa No Bushi No Te by Ronald Lindsey

I purchased the book through Amazon for about $60 USD.It was of interest to me because of my training in the Matsumura-ha. He goes through the history of Okinawa and some of the ancient masters. He focuses on the teaching of Soken Matsumura and his students-Kuda, Kise and Kinjo. The part I found most useful was his explanations of the fighting strategies of "village style" vs "school style" karate.Stepping strategies, body change or tai sabaki, etc.
    I had the opportunity to train with Mr. Lindsey one one time and can attest to his abilities. Belonged to Sensei Kise's organization for a few years and had the pleasure of training with him in Okinawa. Have belonged to Kuda Sensei's organization for many more years. The book even included a photo and mention of my first instructor, Greg Ohl.
    So for me it was a worthwhile purchase. If you have an interest in old style karate or the Matsumura-ha or just an interest in Okinawan Karate the book should be of interest to you.

Duane[/I]
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

I have heard nothing but great reviews on this book. Sounds like I really need to get this one and add it to my library.
    Yours in Karate-Do,
    Brandon Fisher
    Okinawa Karate of Twinsburg
    Twinsburg, OH

Likes (received)

Default Nice Book!

Very nice book, lots and lots of information on Okinawan Karate in general and specifically Seito Matsumura shorin ryu.

It's very much worth the money IMO.
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    Shorin Ryu Seito Matsumura Karate and Kobudo UK
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

I enjoyed it too, having spent some time in Matsumura Kempo, but I do feel the book could have used a good editor.

Some excellent info however and good quotes: "It's not Shorinryu without Gojushiho" is one I liked from Kuda sensei.