Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yoshinori Kono

Likes (received)

Default Yoshinori Kono

Hello,
    I've recently watched Nicholas Pettas's "Samurai Spirit" series. One episode, "kobudo", features a segment about research by a budoka named Yoshinori Kono. I was wondering what the general consensus was on this gentleman. He
    certainly has some interesting theories on body mechanics and swordsmanship.
    Enclosed is a point of reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNLyL4psMbU .
    Nathan Morrison

Likes (received)

Yeah, I remember this one. He is a poser with much theory and little of anything els. Some of it is sensible, but he presents it like he figured it out for himself and that he himself is the only one with the knowledge. And the attack on modern budo or martial arts for that matter is just irritating. Many of the modern practitioners would wash the floor with him. The whole thing is laughable.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefffen View Post
    Yeah, I remember this one. He is a poser with much theory and little of anything els. Some of it is sensible, but he presents it like he figured it out for himself and that he himself is the only one with the knowledge. And the attack on modern budo or martial arts for that matter is just irritating. Many of the modern practitioners would wash the floor with him. The whole thing is laughable.

Thanks for that Steffen. A bit of it was counter intuitive for me as Koshi, Hara, tanden etc. seem to play a big part in what I practice. I also find hit hard to imagine that so many ryuha that survive would make such drastic changes to the basics of their curriculum (ie) sword grip).
    Nathan Morrison

Likes (received)

It is not that the grip necessarily is wrong. I'd say that it would be an over generalization to say that every ryu-ha use space between the hands. But it does not mean that he is able to strive for survival with that kind of grip because he happens to be fast at slapping a sword.
    Also the dancing steps he do while he randomly vaguely does motions with a jo looks... vaguely.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

Default Kuroda

Interesting how the three conclusions he draws in the video are taught by Kuroda Tetsuzan,...... especially when you consider that Kono trained with him for a period of time!
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Likes (received)

No no, he got it from a book... old ones to!
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english