Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How NOT to do BJJ with Police DT...

Likes (received)

Default How NOT to do BJJ with Police DT...

Likes (received)

Well said. Trying to operate by a set of rules that don't exist outside the training hall. Not to mention complex motor skills and degredation of techniques over time without constant practice. Of course it's always demonstrated on the mat, no gunbelt.
    A way of handcuffing "never" seen before. That could be a clue. Either you are innovative or everyone else doesn't do it that way for a very good reason.
    Another example of Tacti-COOL.
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Duanew View Post
    Not to mention complex motor skills and degredation of techniques over time without constant practice....
    Well as you know from my rants on Policeone there is no excuse for this, either.

Even appropriate tactics for arrest and control and police close combat should be practiced constantly. And I don't mean a training day or two once or twice a year.

I won't criticize the guy for doing stuff that needs to be practiced more to be effective: I think LE needs to leave that thought process behind.

That being said this is the classic "if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" response - which often translates to bad tactics. What is disturbing is that there is plenty within BJJ, or dare I say a BJJ-Aikido (or FMA locking)- MMA blend that DOES make sense in these situations. Why that is missed is very telling regarding where the instructor's head is at.

Likes (received)

You teach what you know!
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

I think this was very poignant:

This is, plainly speaking, a tactical mismatch that is misguided at best. This is to my thinking someone who is more interested in demonstrating their own personal skill set regardless of its viability for the street, or the advisability of it for other officers – most of whom will not be able to skillfully perform it even in these gym conditions.

I think that is the case with a lot of DT instructors that I have seen. Not that they are being purposely malicious or anything like that, but this is (in my mind) serious business. Showing "what you know" doesn't do anyone in the profession any good, especially if it is a stripped down version of (insert art here). The instructor needs to be able to translate key tactics and principles to the specific work of LE. As much as I would love to train LE personnel, I would be foolish to go out there without having that experience and knowledge. It may even be more harmful than good.
    Sincerely,

Eric Joyce
    Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu

Likes (received)

One of the points I will be talking about at the ILEETA Conference this year. "Fight Like A Fighter Pilot" is the title of the class hope to see some of the ILEETA/Ebudo members there.
    Duane
    Duane Wolfe