Likes Likes:  0

Thread: o naginata and bo

Likes (received)

Default o naginata and bo

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anybody knew of a source for Otake dojo style naginata and bo.

the only website i have found is:
    http://www.koryubokken.com/shop/1_Katori-Shinto-ryu

which is out of stock.

My partner studies TSKSR and states that they are hard to get hold of because of the wood.
    But any contacts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    debz
    deborah elizabeth bell
    see spells deb- aint my mum clever

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by rottunpunk View Post
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anybody knew of a source for Otake dojo style naginata and bo.

the only website i have found is:
    http://www.koryubokken.com/shop/1_Katori-Shinto-ryu

which is out of stock.

My partner studies TSKSR and states that they are hard to get hold of because of the wood.
    But any contacts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    debz
    Never made the KSR bo specifically but have made lots of bo, and Katori naginata too.

Shipping to Europe isn't pretty but it's not impossibly expensive either. I think I've got some KSR naginata in stock in NA white oak, I'd have to check though.

Kim.
    kataylor@sdksupplies.com

Likes (received)

Hi Deborah,

The Koryubokken site had their equipment made by Petar Antunovic, a Bujinkan member in Croatia who used to run his own site, and currently has a couple of blogs to advertise his products.... however I'd caution against it. His products are great, and there's some rather innovative things that he does, but due to a range of circumstances, not least the political environment in Croatia itself, reliability is another issue entirely. I'll put it this way: I've been waiting about 6 years for a range of things I ordered. So I'm not surprised that the Koryu Bokken site had issues supplying products. Petar comes across as a good hearted guy, but things get away from him fairly easily from the looks of things, and he gets overwhelmed.

Kim, you say you have some Katori Shinto Ryu O Naginata around? Ooh.... interested... I may just have to send you a PM over that...
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

Deb, you coming to the keiko next Sunday? If so, drag Jari along and if my O-Nag is the kind of thing he is looking for, I will point him at the chap who made it.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

hi all thanks for the replies.

Kim, Jari has one of your chunky kodachi. I will remind him to email you.

Chris, good luck in your wait. I am guessing you havent paid him yet?
    I have a bowyer friend who sounds just the same.
    Amazing craftmanship, when the artistic temprement lets them get on and make things.

Scott, I should be there. Jari may be training down south but bring it along and i can have a butchers.

Cheers again all
    debz
    deborah elizabeth bell
    see spells deb- aint my mum clever

Likes (received)

I ordered a shintoryu bokken from koryubokken.com. It did take them some time but I got it, and I agree with Chris, well made products and from memory good service. But another one at the club ordered a Otake naginata from well over a year ago, still not got it and probably wont. Next time I will probably try Beth Johnson
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefffen View Post
    I ordered a shintoryu bokken from koryubokken.com. It did take them some time but I got it, and I agree with Chris, well made products and from memory good service. But another one at the club ordered a Otake naginata from well over a year ago, still not got it and probably wont. Next time I will probably try Beth Johnson
    Steffen,

Beth's work is, in my experience, second to none. The good news is that Beth is straight with her clients about waiting times. The bad news is that the quality of the work is leading to increased waiting times. If you think you know when next time is likely to be, order early. (But please, not before she finishes my yari!)

Best,

Fred

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kokumo View Post
    If you think you know when next time is likely to be, order early. (But please, not before she finishes my yari!)

Best,

Fred
    Fred

Moahahaha! You should not have said!

You are correct though, good quality do take time.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

Fred is perhaps too kind in his self-assuaging assertion -- he'll only use the yari against me when it's done, so I have less incentive to finish than I do for other folks. In truth though, yari are still in R&D for me, so that's certainly a quality control issue -- but in general wait times are long because I have to squeeze in the woodworking between all those other demands on my time. The day job, the family, the one-class-per-semester creep toward my bachelor's, my own budo . . .

That's why I'm pretty much sticking to koryu commissions at this time -- I'm trying to keep from spreading myself too thin. I'd much rather do a few things really well than let the quality slip, and it's a way for me to pay forward to a group of arts that have enriched my life in many, many ways.

-Beth
    Beth's Buki
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Likes (received)

Update:

My friend has now got his naginata. He got to choose between receiving a refund or a naginata made by somebody ells. He seems happy.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english