Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steven Segal, Blade master?

Likes (received)

Default Steven Segal, Blade master?

Very disappointed to put on the TV and see the reserve police program showing his activities with a sword as a 'Blade Master'. He of all people should know that its all very well to be a Yudansha and proficient at a particular at one facet of budo. But one has to start "all over again" in other arts. All I could see was a few off the shoulder baseball swings with not only a complete lack of 'koshi' but a dangerously bent back. I did have a healthy respect for this gentleman as he had like myself gone to Japan to immerse himself in Budo.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

He's a buffoon. Any agency that would put him on ANY sworn status is utterly foolish and probably only did so after a generous donation and a wink-wink.

Likes (received)

As a long time (36+ years) LEO/Military type person, with decades of training in Batto and Ia..Well..the "technique" he displayed was well..what is the word?? Sloppy?

It takes more to master a sword style than most folks in other MA styles realize. There are nuances and subtle movements, even when you are not cutting that are there for a reason..most of which is to 1: Keep you ALIVE and 2: Keep you from damaging your sword.

I, sadly have to say that I can not count the number of good swords that I have witnessed "die a dog's death" as the hands of someone who thought they were a "swordsman" simply decause they were a high ranked in a different Art.

Neither my partner nor I will allow ANYONE in our Dojo to cut ANYTHING until they have proved to us both that they are proficient and competent in not only Kata but ALSO tamashigiri..and even then, mis-cuts happen and sometimes it's OK and sometimes you have 6" of razor sharp steel flying through the air.

Yeah Mr Segal is (or was) a sworn LEO but I tell ya I wouldn't want to work with him as his policework in general is sloppy and "devil may care" and that can get you or your partner killed...

JP Hrisoulas
    Dr JP Hrisoulas
    Bladesmith, Metallographer
    www.atar.com

Likes (received)

Any link to this TV show with the "Blade Master" ?

Thank you.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
    Any link to this TV show with the "Blade Master" ?

Thank you.
    It's available on Netflix: Season 2, Episode 7.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

bearing in mind that TV producers - and any other publisher or journalist-type hack - wants to grab an audience attention and love handy, snappy descriptive titles to describe the "piece" with brevity... what would you use as caption for a shot of Mr Segal, or anyone else, swinging or posing with their blade out?

"Sword-swinger"
    "Blade-waver"
    "choppy-choppy-mind-your-fingers-dude"
    "Kung Fu Karate Master Swordsman"
    "Duelling Tanto" (with reference to "Deliverance", subject must hop around shouting "Who's the Daddy".
    "I'm Steven Segal, don't stand too close!"
    "Samurai Master"
    "Ninja Master"
    "Ninja-Samurai-BJJ-Pride Master"
    "Show-Off"
    "Exhibitionist"
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Jackass with a blade?
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

"Jackass with a blade"
    Now THAT sounds like a great program already!
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Hmmm ... I think "Jackass Blade" would be an excellent name for a new movie!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

"Jackass with a blade"

I have seen far too many of these at various knife shows...the most memorable was when I was next to the late Mr Robert Engnath when he was just statring to produce those excellent "finish it yourself" Kat, tanto and waki blades...when one self proclaimed "Ninja" , without even asking picked up and pulled a rather nice, but a tad bit longer than most Tachi I made and while proclaiming that he was a "highly skilled Ninja" raised it up and over his right shoulder and then straight down his back...and the Kissaki wound up burried like 3 inches into his right butt cheeck.

Instead of doing what any normal, thinking man would do...and pull it straight up and out he pulled down on the tsuka opening up a rather messy (and I dearly hope agonizingly PAINFUL) wound and creating a blood soaked mess...He was taken away via ambulance never to be seen again.

I spent the rest of that afternnon making sure I got all of this idiot's blood off my sword...Of course everyone that witnessed the event were laughing and giving suggestions on naming the sword. Some folks are so very helpful...

Yeah...I think "Jack Ass with a Blade" has already been taken...

JPH
    Dr JP Hrisoulas
    www.atar.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by JPH View Post

I spent the rest of that afternnon making sure I got all of this idiot's blood off my sword...
    What, chiburi didn't work???

LOL great story...

Likes (received)

Chiburi Noto was out of the question unless I wanted to take out a half a dozen folk that were standing around...But then again I am no Mr Segal, BLADEMASTER.... who would undoubtedly be able to perform said movements flawlessly even in such crowded conditions....

I am just an old swordsmith and Batto and Iai guy...

JPH

Ya know I will see if I can dig out that tachi and post a photo of it the next couple of days..it's got one hellluva lot of sori...1 1/2" or so...looks like a cavalry sabre but boy does it cut NICE (does tsuki pretty well too..but only if you are a highly trained Ninja..)
    Dr JP Hrisoulas
    www.atar.com

Likes (received)

I think most of us would rather like to see a pic of the ninja 'post swing'.... that way we get a laugh as well as a look at the blade.
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Some people have no respect for other people's property and feel they have the right to "test drive" something on the table.

I have a feeling his department put him on as a PR move. Didn't Shaq join a department as a reserve or auxillary officer? I have nothing but the utmost amount of respect for men and women who volunteer their time as police officers celeb or otherwise. Many of them face the same dangers the paid officers face. I think having a celebrity officer in the department can serve as a good community realtions building tool, but when that celebrity officer acts like a "Jackass with a Blade" it could go south on you pretty quick... Hopefully Segal's prescence in the department has benifited the guys who do this full time a little bit. (Heck if I got pulled over I'd ask if I could meet Shaq or Segal and get an autograph lol).
    Last edited by Kendoguy9; 24th January 2012 at 00:08. Reason: me no spell good
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    Hmmm ... I think "Jackass Blade" would be an excellent name for a new movie!
    Starring Steven Seagal-straight to DVD
    Duane Wolfe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast