Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Takagi Yoshin Ryu - Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Takagi Yoshin Ryu - Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Recently I had the awesome priviledge of reading a book titled Takagi Oriemon - Budo Hero of Shiroishi. It was a very interesting read and also extremely entertaining. I consider myself to be a Quarter Time martial arts historian (meaning only indulge in subject matter I deem to be interesting). Well in chapter 6 of this book, it was said that Takagi Oriemon and his stopped by the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu school of swordmanship and was trained by one of the senior instructors of the ryuha. Excuse me if I misquote/misinform you of this detail for I do not have the book in front of me at this time. I believe the senior instructor gave Takagi Oriemon menkyo kaiden for the school. I said all of that to say this. It was very common for people to travel the country and train under the Best/Notable schools of the time. Is it possible for SOME if not a MAJORITY of the sword techniques in Takagi Yoshin Ryu are directly influenced and/or are actually techniques straight from the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu school!?

Likes (received)

Sword in Takagi Yoshin Ryu? Please explain your source for this.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

Excuse me, I ment to say "And his Pupil".

My only source at the moment is from the Takagi Oriemon book. That is what lead to my question. I am just trying to take a short cut by asking anyone that is knowledgeable of the Takagi Yoshin Ryu Lineage/History.However I will conduct some official research of my own beginning later today! However here is a link from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Takagi-Oriemon...p/1447769031#_

Likes (received)

Hello,

There might have been sword techniques at one point in Takagi Yoshin Ryu but to my knowledge there are none currently. The only weapon that is passed on is that from Kukishin Ryu. There other topics taught within the ryu ha at different levels.

I did find the book enlightening though.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Hello,

There might have been sword techniques at one point in Takagi Yoshin Ryu but to my knowledge there are none currently. The only weapon that is passed on is that from Kukishin Ryu. There other topics taught within the ryu ha at different levels.

I did find the book enlightening though.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Ok Cool! I also found the book to be awesome! Due to my horrific time restraints of my job, I have not had the time I would like to continue an in depth research. However almost in the same light I have recently became a student of the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. It is a slow start for me, but a smooth one.

Likes (received)

I almost forgot. Mr. Wideman you mentioned the Kukishin ryu. From what I was able to gather on the surface of things, it was in relation to bo/jo techniques. Do you know if their Kukishin bo/jo origin fall in line with the Bujinkan/Genbukan/Jeninkan written or oral history!?

Likes (received)

Hello,

Normally the kukishin ryu bo is passed on with the Takagi Yoshin Ryu- Ishitani den lineage. To my knowledge, the bojutsu was not passed on with the Mizuta den lineage.

There is some Heiho when it relates to sword in the higher levels of Takagi Yoshin Ryu, however, there is not a specific section taught as sword techniques. At least to my knowledge.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
    Troy Wideman

Likes (received)

Mr. Wideman! Thank you for your conitinous flow of knowledge that you have provided thus far. I have come to a partial conclusion (not a proven one): Before I joined the YSKR (Marobashi), I observed a class. I remember some techniques they were performing apeared to be simliar to MUTODORI! Maybe the commonality is not the actual techniques of using the sword, but that of taking ones sword. Then again I couold be REACHING for a common denominator that does not exist based off of a well written book. However in the mean time I will continue with my training in the Bujinkan and YSKR! Maybe some years down the road I will find an answer or not.