Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History of Close Quarter Combat

Stephenjudoka Guest

Fellow members of the CQC Forum I am trying to put together the history of modern CQC/CQB techniques.

I know that a lot of it was developed or taken from W.E.Fairbairn and his defendu arts.
    I also know that the USA had the late Col. Rex Applegate develope CQC/CQB.

What I am trying to do at the moment is to find out more about the art of Shinnoshido Ryu.

I am also interested in the stick work devised by Col. William A. Kengla, USMC. He is accredited with the development of the 'short end' technique of the long stick.

I am trying to keep these techniques alive.

Can anyone help me please.

Likes (received)

I've already given Pete Robins what little I know on Shinnoshindo.

For WWII CQB in Britain, see also "It Had to be Tough" by James Dunning. From 1943-1945, Sgt. Stan "Sonny" Bissell (Budokwai shodan and London Met Police instructor) was one of the CQB instructors at Achnacarry. I've already written Mr. Dunning to see if he has additional connections.

Note that the Gestapo, RCMP, and various US police forces trained in fairly standard Kodokan judo before WWII. Aikido became popular in Hawaii after Tohei began teaching at Maui in 1953. In Australia, A.J. Ross provided training in judo during WWII; this was subsequently modified into more rough-and-tumble. Jan de Jong is the one to talk to about subsequent SAS training programs.

Stephenjudoka Guest

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for your reply. I know Peter Robins very well and was with him last Sunday.

I have spoken to many members who went through Achnacarry and most say it was rough, dirty fighting.

Mick Poole a good friend of mine told me of the techniques his father learned first in the SMP and then in WWII.

Slowly but surely things are coming together but the more I look the more I find out and the more I need to research.

Thanks for the contacts. I will try to trace Stan Bissell I am with the Met Police Self Defence Instructors this Thursday. I would think he has retired by now but I have a feeling I met him in 1972 when I was a young recruit.

Stephen Sweetlove.

Likes (received)

Don't forget to mention your CQB interests to Richard Bowen. Since he knows lots of people, probably he can put you in touch with people who have already done significant research.

Dan T Guest

Default CQC History

There is quite a bit of information in this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/000301.html some of it is good, some of it might not be. The rest of the forum this is from is locked off, but for some reason it is still possible to view this thread.

Enjoy!

Oh, if anyone has any info on Col. Biddle or else the 1943 Naval Aeronatautics Hand to Hand program they would like to share, it would be much appreciated and of great help to a research project I am working on.

Thanks,

Dan Trembula
    USNA CQC

Likes (received)

Bennett, Bruce. "Physical Education and Sport at Its Best -- The Naval Aviation V-5 Pre-Flight Program," Canadian Journal of History of Sport, 21:2, December 1990

Romminger, Donald W. Jr. "From Playing Field to Battleground: The United States Navy V-5 Preflight Program in World War II," Journal of Sport History, 12:5, Winter 1985

Biddle info was e-mailed separately.

Likes (received)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenjudoka
    What I am trying to do at the moment is to find out more about the art of Shinnoshido Ryu.
    Hi Stephen

How's the project going mate?
    James Farthing
    UK

jimmy_fatwing{at}yahoo.com (repalce the {at})
    http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk

Likes (received)

Hi James,

Just spent a week in Hay-on-Wye looking in all the bookshops for anything concerened with CQC/CQB. I did manage to get several old books relating to the Royal Marines and SOE training. However, there were only a few lines concerning CQB/CQB.

I continue to get as much info and as many books as I can and slowly but surely I am getting a good historical picture. Mind you it is an exspensive hobby, none of the books are cheap!

Since the first posting in 2001 I have not found much more about Shinnoshido Ryu and I have come to a dead end with it. However, I am always on the lookout for more information.

I was looking at some of the names included in the replies from Joseph and as you may know since then Peter Robins and Richard Bowen have passed away. They both had lots of information and both were going to write books.

I understand that the collection/library that Mr Bowen had has been archived at Bath University and I understand from a recent Judo magazine it is open for anyone to look at - so I will try and get down to the library and see what Mr Bowen had.

By the way I like your web site - keep on adding to it - I find it very interesting and easy to use.
    Stephen Sweetlove
    The older I get the better I was!

Likes (received)

Hi Stephen

Hay-on-Wye has been on my list of places to go to....but now you've snapped up all the books I would have no doubt wanted I'll go to france and drink wine instead

Peter's book is on it's way - "THE LEGEND OF W.E.FAIRBAIRN - GENTLEMAN AND WARRIOR. THE SHANGHAI YEARS." I don't have any dates etc yet but if you look here - http://www.fightingartsdirectory.com/UK/wef.htm - they have the details.

I know what you mean with the expense, though you also can come across a gem from time to time in a dusty old shop.

Richard Bowen's library did end up at Bath. You can't just wander on up and have a look but if you speak to the librarians in advance it should be ok for you to pay a visit. A friend of mine lives in Bristol and i'm trying to make him go over there!

Are you planning on putting a book together or an article then? Thanks on the website, it's nothing fancy...just a way to get some hard to find articles out there for people who are interested. There's so much that's still to be discovered I'm sure!

Take care and keep in touch mate.
    James Farthing
    UK

jimmy_fatwing{at}yahoo.com (repalce the {at})
    http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk

Likes (received)

Hi James,

Thanks very much for the information. That is one book I will definately be getting hold of.
    No I am not intending to write a book or an article its just that I am very interested in the history of CQC/CQB, the SOE, the history of W.E.FAIRBAIRN and the Shanghai Police.

Oh and don't worry I did spend some of my money on wine when I was in Hay on Wye!
    Stephen Sweetlove

Likes (received)

Default History Of Close Quarter Combat

Hi Steve.
    At last I've managed to catch up with you!
    Pete's book will DEFINITELY be out soon. It's been a real challenge putting things together and trying to do the whole story (and Pete's work) justice, but its there now.
    Would like to catch up with you offline sometime soon as well, and answer any questions you might have.
    James F - I'll catch up with you next week

Paul Child.
    Paul Child

Likes (received)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for contacting me. I will contact you via email.
    Stephen Sweetlove

Likes (received)

Default Fairbairn history etc

Steve,

I see you are interested in Fairbairn and Defendu. Do you have his book on Defendu. I do and would be willing to lend it to you for scanning etc.

You might just remember me, we met on the mat years ago. I'm the one with the thick neck and cauliflower ears. Mind you we all look like that now!

I have a large collection of early judo, jiu jitsu and unarmed combat books you might like to see.

Stewart Hyde

Likes (received)

Default History of Close Quarter Combat

Stewart
    Which version of Fairbairn's book do you have?

Paul Child.
    Paul Child

Likes (received)

Default Defendu

Due to a recent divorce all of my books are in boxes in my mother's loft so I am not sure which version it is. It was a beige hardback I think without a dustjacket.

Stewart Hyde

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast