Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Muso Ryu Sojutsu

Likes (received)

Default Muso Ryu Sojutsu

Hello,
    I was recently talking to a friend about budo, and he mentioned that a friend of his previously studied a Sojutsu art called Muso Ryu in Kochi. Apparently it's part of a sogo bujutsu. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this art and knew of its history.
    Cheers
    Nathan Morrison

Likes (received)

Hello Nathan,

I couldn't find any details on a Muso-ryu Sojutsu immediately online, but here is a link to some fairly renowned historical Kochi bujutsu ryuha.

http://ikkansai.kakurezato.com/syohan.htm

You might have more luck looking into 郷土史 (kyodoshi - regional history) or 体育史 (taiikushi - physical education history) in that particular area in one of the larger libraries in Kochi.

All the best,
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee View Post
    Hello Nathan,

I couldn't find any details on a Muso-ryu Sojutsu immediately online, but here is a link to some fairly renowned historical Kochi bujutsu ryuha.

http://ikkansai.kakurezato.com/syohan.htm

You might have more luck looking into 郷土史 (kyodoshi - regional history) or 体育史 (taiikushi - physical education history) in that particular area in one of the larger libraries in Kochi.

All the best,
    Cheers Daniel,
    I'll look into the list. Geographically speaking, I'm a little too far to look into Kochi archives. Thanks again for the list though, it's a bit of an eye opener!
    Nathan Morrison

Likes (received)

Hi Nathan,

I did a quick check of the BRDJ, and found a few listings on page 828 of the 1978 edition.

There are two for "Muso-ryu" ( 無双流 ) sojutsu. The first one also includes jujutsu, bojutsu, and kenjutsu, and was taught in Sanukishu (Shikoku), but is now being taught in Okayama. The other one with the same kanji was taught to the Choshu-han (modern day Yamaguchi), and only consisted of sojutsu.

The last one is "Muso-ryu" ( 無総流 ) sojutsu, and was taught to the Tsuwano-han in Ishimi and Ogi (modern day Shimane), as well as the Omura-han.

Don't know if any or all of these are still extant, or what you're looking for, but HTH...
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    Hi Nathan,

I did a quick check of the BRDJ, and found a few listings on page 828 of the 1978 edition.

There are two for "Muso-ryu" ( 無双流 ) sojutsu. The first one also includes jujutsu, bojutsu, and kenjutsu, and was taught in Sanukishu (Shikoku), but is now being taught in Okayama. The other one with the same kanji was taught to the Choshu-han (modern day Yamaguchi), and only consisted of sojutsu.

The last one is "Muso-ryu" ( 無総流 ) sojutsu, and was taught to the Tsuwano-han in Ishimi and Ogi (modern day Shimane), as well as the Omura-han.

Don't know if any or all of these are still extant, or what you're looking for, but HTH...
    Thank you Nathan (it sounds weird saying that!) for the insight. This certainly does raise more questions. Does the BRDJ indicate if the school (the former) is actively practiced or if the line has ceased?
    Nathan Morrison

Likes (received)

Hi,

No, I didn't notice anything about the current generation. You could try contacting some of the budo groups or organizations in the area and see if anyone has heard of them. If it is a small town they probably have.

And yeah, the "Nathan" thing is weird, huh? I guess it is becoming a popular name. It took long enough...

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)