Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kyu Ryu-Ka

Likes (received)

Default Kyu Ryu-Ka

Just ran across this "school" an Amazon.

Has anyone heard of this?

I don't speak Japanese, but supposedly they say the school name (Kyu Ryu-Ka) translates to "Nine Dragon House."

That sounds more Chinese than Japanese to me. Also, each word alone means something TOTALLY different than what they say the phrase says. I thought Kyu meant "level" or "Step", Ryu meant "School" and Ka meant "Fire". Not literal translation, just rough meanings.

However, I'm always willing to look at something new, as long as it has legitimacy. I think this is a total fake school, but wonder if anyone here has any actual knowledge or information as opposed to my "guesstimation."

Likes (received)

I'm not saying that they're authentic (I'd be hard to persuade that they are, unless that's just the name, albeit very badly chosen, or a dojo of a legit org), but the clunky language isn't quite that incorrect. Remember that Japanese is really only made up of about 24 syllables, so common sounds can be written in a number of ways with many meanings.

For example, 級 (kyu) refers to a step, a pupil grade, but 九 (kyu/ku) refers to the number nine. 流 (ryu) refers to a style, a flow, a school, but 龍/竜 (both pronounced tatsu) mean "dragon". Ka, on the other hand, is probably them getting "ha" wrong.
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

I've searched the net and the only reference to this school is the same book I saw at Amazon. Here's the one I'm referring to:

kindle book

I found it looking to see what e-books might be out, and it sparked my curiosity. But I can't find any further reference, except the same kindle version being listed on other websites.

So, I'm curious about it IF it's a legitimate school (or a branch from a legit), but I'm suspicious (from reading the first few pages in the sample) that it's just a made up school stealing the Togakure origin story from one of the early books by Hayes or Hatsumi and then inserting their own invented content afterwards.

Likes (received)

"Jiraiya Sandayu"? "Kyu Ryu Ka no Soke"?

Dear lord, that's one of the best laughs I've had in many a moon....

Uh, no. Not legit at all. Complete and utter baseless childish fantasy garbage.
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

Jiraiya being the name of one of Naruto's teachers. See the list of Naruto characters, where Jiraiya is summarised "Jiraiya's personality is openly lecherous, and he proudly describes himself as a "super pervert", authoring a series of best-selling adult romance novels.".

For an antidote to such nonsense, may I suggest this E-Book instead;
    Campfire Tales from Hell. Written by people with more first-hand knowledge and real-life experience than you or I could ever imagine.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Jiraiya being the name of one of Naruto's teachers. See the list of Naruto characters, where Jiraiya is summarised "Jiraiya's personality is openly lecherous, and he proudly describes himself as a "super pervert", authoring a series of best-selling adult romance novels.".
    So basically, Jiraiya is based on Ashida Kim?
    Brett Guillory
    5th kyu GWNBF
    9th kyu KJJR

Brett's as green as they come." - J. Chambers

Likes (received)

Cant anyone tell I don't watch Naruto?

Anyway, I suspected it was a copy/fake/imitation. But I'm always looking for new items worth checking out.

I appreciate the help in screening this out!

Likes (received)

I also do not wish to add legitimacy to them at all, as the way they put their style's name together is rather clunky Japanese, as was stated above. However, could they be using the "ka" reading of 家 for their style name, as it is pronounced "ka" in such words as 家族 (kazoku, which means family) and that kanji can carry the meaning of house? Just a thought, but still utterly ridiculous to think that they have legitimate lineage tied to Japan in any way.
    Joshua Krill
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    "First footwork, then spine work, then handwork..."
    - Shiraishi Isamu Sensei