Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shinto Muso-ryu in Nihon Kobudo Kyokai

Likes (received)

Default Shinto Muso-ryu in Nihon Kobudo Kyokai

Hi, all!

Here's a question me and some friends of mine have been pondering for a while and would like to get confirmation on.

In short: Which branches of Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu are recognized by, or affiliated with, the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai?

All of them? Only Tokyo-ha and Fukuoka-ha? Or only Fukuoka-ha (as Namitome Shigenori, the successor of Otofuji Ichizo, is listed as the representative of the school on the NKK website)?

Not that membership in this organization would automatically uplift the ryu or ryu-ha with a stamp of autheticity or an aura of superiority in my personal view. However, I've met people who, apparently, seem to think it does.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Likes (received)

Default Signature added

Signature added.
    Nino Lindström
    Helsinki, Finland.

Likes (received)

The Kyokai website lists all the dojo affiliated with it.

Both Nishioka Tsuneo's line and the Fukuoka line are affiliated with the Kobudo Shinkokai.

Affiliation has absolutely nothing to do with authenticity or legitimacy. Neither the Kyokai nor the Shinkokai issue any kind of official validation. Both the Kyokai and Shinkokai are host to multiple lines of YSR, YSgR, HNIR and others, for example. There are groups that are clearly and openly not pre-Meiji (Daito-ryu, Aikido, Karate) and nothing like the typical "koryu" (Ryukyu Kobudo). The biggest factor in membership is if the particular dojo wants to pay dues and participate in events.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, þonne he æt guðe gengan þenceð longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearað. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Hey, just visited the site with Google Translate and realized that I once had a lesson in Cane art Shinto Muso flow with Seitoku stop wave!

I love trying to translate the translation.

Kim.

Likes (received)

Thanks Kim, that made me laugh!
    Our net nanny here at my work won't let me use google translate, for which I am grateful.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

So, I take it that connection to the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai is dojo-related, not branch-related.

I had come to speculate this since apparently there are teachers from Fukuoka- and Tokyo-ha taking part in NKK public demonstrations. This would strongly suggest - if not prove - that at least representatives from both of these mainstream branches have established a connection to this organization and that affiliation is not limited to a single hereditary lineage of the school.

Also, on the "Nihon Kobudo Series" DVD/VHS-tape (produced by the Nippon Budokan) above-mentioned Otofuji Ichizo and Namitome Shigenori make an appearance together with Kaminoda Tsunemori, Hiroi Tsunetsugu and Yoneno Kotaro, the latter three having received their menkyo kaiden from Shimizu Takaji.

I don't know Japanese, but with the help of the mighty translator I can get some information out of the SMR dojo list on the NKK website. I'm unfamiliar with all the listed teachers and their credentials (save Namitome), but judging by the geographical locations of the listed dojo, the list would indeed suggest representatives from a variety of menkyo lines.
    Last edited by Hatamoto; 26th June 2012 at 20:22.
    Nino Lindström
    Helsinki, Finland.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatamoto View Post
    Also, on the "Nihon Kobudo Series" DVD/VHS-tape (produced by the Nippon Budokan) above-mentioned Otofuji Ichizo and Namitome Shigenori make an appearance together with Kaminoda Tsunemori, Hiroi Tsunetsugu and Yoneno Kotaro, the latter three having received their menkyo kaiden from Shimizu Takaji.
    I'm not sure where people get the idea that jodo lines are terribly separate, they really are not. There are some instructors who make a bit of fuss about being of this line or that, but on the whole, the guys at the top today who are in the ZNKR (that includes both Fukuoka and Tokyo lines) are on quite close terms. They see each other often and the top guys of both lines often come to Canada together for seminars.

There's no surprise to see the above mentioned folks on that tape which is quite a few years old now.

Kim.