Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yoshin ryu jujutsu (Akiyama)

Likes (received)

Question Yoshin ryu jujutsu (Akiyama)

hi

does anyone know where i can find some detailed information about yoshin ryu jujutsu??

thanks

Chad,

There are several styles of "Yoshin ryu" jujutsu floating around. Many are modern in formation and unrelated to the Yoshin ryu jujutsu existing as a koryu. I am assuming that you are asking about Yoshin Koryu, the style founded by Yoshitoki Shirobei Akiyama in the 17th century. I am not aware of anyone teaching Yoshin Koryu anymore although I could be wrong. It is my understanding that Yoshin Koryu was absorbed into several different traditions including the Shindo Yoshin ryu which I practise.

Hikosuke Totsuka was one of the last Yoshin Koryu instructors that I am familiar with. He took part in the famous contest between his school and the Kodokan. If he passed the tradition forward I am unaware of it. Perhaps someone like Meik Skoss or Joe Svinth would have the answer to this question.

Toby Threadgill

Likes (received)

According to the field guide in Sword and Spirit (check www.koryu.com) the Yoshin ryu is now a school of naginata jutsu and sojutsu. The rest of the curriculum seems to have been shed along the way. Sad really, for a school that was famous for its jujutsu.

Cheers,

Likes (received)

Glad to hear that it still exists with jujutsu intact.

Mr Chetty,

It is my understanding that Yoshin ryu naginata is a completely different tradition from the Yoshin Koryu founded by Akiyama Yoshitoki. This is easily confused as there are a number of traditions using the kanji character pronounced "yo" meaning "willow" in their name.

I know of at least 6 different "willow" styles.

Toby Threadgill

Likes (received)

Default Oops!

Sorry for confusion, I'll go and read my sources again.

Likes (received)

Default Oops!

Sorry for confusion, I'll go and read my sources again.

And thats Jairaj to you (or Jay for short) not Mr Chetty.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Toby Threadgill
    Mr Chetty,

It is my understanding that Yoshin ryu naginata is a completely different tradition from the Yoshin Koryu founded by Akiyama Yoshitoki. This is easily confused as there are a number of traditions using the kanji character pronounced "yo" meaning "willow" in their name.

I know of at least 6 different "willow" styles.

Toby Threadgill
    I think they are the same ryuha. I looked in "Sword and Spirit" by Koryu Books about the yoshin ryu naginata on page 61 and it was the same founder as mentioned above.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

"I think they are the same ryuha. I looked in "Sword and Spirit" by Koryu Books about the yoshin ryu naginata on page 61 and it was the same founder as mentioned above.

Cool,

I didn't know that. If accurate thats really interesting information and contradicts some doumentation I have on the subject. I really hope that it is accurate. Any surviving naginata waza of Akiyama Shirobei would be very interesting to see.

Thanks for the info. I'll send a Email to Diane Skoss and ask her what she knows on this subject.

Very interesting!

Tobs

Likes (received)

Google, "Yoshin Ryu," turns up http://jujitsu.itgo.com/jujitsu.html . This is the standard 18th century organizational story, with little subsequent historical linkage to the present.

There are also a variety of styles that include Yoshin Ryu in the name, some of which are presumably offshoots. For example, here's Rod Sacharnowski visiting a Hontai Yoshin Ryu dojo in Japan in 1991. http://www.jukokai.com/docs/japan_tr...an_trip_1.html .

Likes (received)

For more information on Hontai Yoshin Ryu you can go to the USA branch website. www.hyrusa.com
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho