Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

Dan Harden Guest

Default Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

Hey.....I thought it deserved its own spot!

Its 11:00 P.M. here and I just left these folks at their hotel.

Koryu- alive and well in Worcester
    I wanted to publicly post a thank you to Meik and Diane Skoss as well as their two co-demonstrators and members of their ryu; Bob Williams ad Ken (Sorry to have forgotten your last name Ken).
    For those of you who may have missed the notice Meik and Diane came to Worcester Mass. to put on a Koryu demonstration as part of the Worcester Art Museums ongoing “Samurai Arts” exhibit. The team chose to present the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Shinto ryu, and Buko Ryu to an appreciative and standing room only crowd of eager attendees at the local exhibition hall just off campus.
    The demonstration was a dynamic and highly charged display of Iai, Kumi- tachi Nito ryu, Naginata, Kodachi, and a dearly loved favorite…….the stick. The crowd’s responses echoed the superb timing and display of martial ferocity that was played out before their eyes. A masterful display of authentic Koryu art presented with Diane’s unique commentary brought the crowd along a joy ride of hypnotic reverie as their response went from quiet anticipation to audible gasps at the controlled violence of engagement on stage. I think it is fair to say that the team caught those in attendance unawares as to the technical brilliance displayed.

Sword
    Meik and Bobs display of Yagyu Shinkage ryu was captivating and energetic. The exchanging of blows with Fukuro Shinai resounding through the hall ended with displays of a finishing target. Again, these exchanges were accompanied by explanations of armored and unarmored targeting and served to give all present a clear and basic understanding of one of Japan's premier arts. It was a bit of a kick to see people jump at Meik’s initial Kiai! I do not want to go into too much detail, but suffice to say there were quite a few surprises in the Kata chosen for presentation.

Battojutsu
    Of particular note was the unique style of Iai or battujutsu. Identical techniques were displayed standing (Meik) and then performed while seated (Bob). There were also interesting continuations of technique past the initial draw. Particular notes of interest were the styles vertical-drawing displayed.

Shinto Muso ryu
    The sword against stick probably engendered the strongest response from the crowd, with Ken displaying the stick’s powerful ability against sword to a surprised crowd. I would have loved to have heard an open question and answer period after the look on some of the audience’s faces!
    Stick what?

The double round of applause and the sold-out crowd was encouraging, as there are many of us hoping that this will serve as a beginning step to several area museums.

After the affair ended Meik, Diane and Bob Williams graciously offered their time to a group of local Budoka for questions and a sharing of their training experiences (regretfully Ken had to head back home). A group of us retired to a local restaurant for fun and relaxation. For those who may not know-Meik and Diane are a delight. It was a pleasure to watch the dynamic between them as they finished each other’s sentences and in general just “talked shop” into the late hours. Many were surprised at their accessibility and openness. While some of the questions were detailed and perhaps exhaustive to answer- they took pains to explain complex issues and technical points to one and all. Personally, I have been to a number of these martial art shabangs and it is always a surprise to meet gracious unassuming people on the “other side” of an expert demonstration. I will add that both were engaging and surprised all with humorous and informative tales. In fact, after years of reading Meik’s writings here and elsewhere I got a kick out of meeting him in person and getting to hear him expand on some of this admittedly dry technical material and just crack everyone up with his stories and observations.
    What a great time! I thought Budo was serious..Hah!
    My only regrets were not getting to see Diane perform-perhaps she just intimidates the fellas too much-I dunno, and the fact that it was over too soon.

Thank you Meik, Diane, Bob, and Ken from those of us at Shugyo Dojo and the greater Worcester area.
    Job well done.

Cheers
    Dan Harden
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 5th May 2003 at 05:22.

Likes (received)

Nice review Dan! Wish I had been there....

Congrats Meik and Diane on what sounds like a fabulous demo!

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Better watch it Dan. You almost said something nice about Iai.

Sounds like it was a great event. Wish it had been a little closer to home.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

I too would like to thank Meik and Diane(and their assistants) for a wonderful demo. It was a great way to spend a beautiful day.

Thanks again,
    Brian Dunham

Meik Skoss Guest

Kochira koso (which means, more or less, same here). We had an absolutely marvelous time after the demonstration. Thank you all, Dan, Matt, Brian, et alia, for the chance to talk budo -- I *hope* I was at least semi-coherent by the end, there, and just hang out with all youse guyse (a little Jersey-ben there).

I really enjoyed getting to meet and talk with people there. We'd like to go back again just to see more of the town, too. For sure... Worcester has some fascinating architecture and there are lots of things happening there all the time. It may be "out beyond the black stump" as the Ockers say, but it's really quite a place. Best part, though, is the people.

Again, thanks. You really know how to show folks a good time!

Likes (received)

Default what about New York

to Meik Skoss....what ever happened to New York...come on down....I know that there would be a large number of people interested in seeing your love of the art
    JJM

Likes (received)

My thanks too to everyone in Worcester (especially Dan and Matt!) who were so hospitable and fun to be around. I really enjoyed our visit! Also, thanks to the Worcester Art Museum for inviting us and providing both the means and lovely venue.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Likes (received)

Default Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

Koryu bugei, the classical martial arts of Japan, will be the feature and main performances of this year’s St. Louis Japanese Festival.
    As part of the 30th annual celebration of the Festival, which occurs this Labour Day weekend (4,5, & 6 September), representatives of five different koryu will be on hand to demonstrate these arts, probably the most extensive public presentation of them in the United States.
    The Japanese Festival is held in St. Louis at the Missouri Botanical Garden, home of the Seiwa-en, an 11-acre formal Japanese garden.

Scheduled are demonstrations of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Araki ryu, Toda-ha Buko ryu, and Shinto Muso ryu, along with some of the ryu attached to the Shinto Muso ryu, such as Isshin ryu and Uchida ryu.

Those demonstrating are all senior level practitioners of each of these ryu, all of whom hold various advanced licences in them. Among them will be several names familiar to anyone interested in these classical arts: Phil and Nobuko Relnick, Ellis Amdur, Larry Bieri, and Meik and Diane Skoss.

Three one-hour demonstrations are scheduled in the Schoenberg Auditorium at the Missouri Botanical Garden, with different ryu presented each day. Additionally, weather permitting, three demonstrations will also take place outdoors at the MBG.

The Japanese Festival also includes numerous other events, like Bon odori, taiko drumming, displays of ikebana and bonsai, along with Japanese food, beer, and sake.
    Dave Lowry

Likes (received)

I wish I could go, but that will be about the time my wife and I will have a new baby girl. Have fun Mr. Lowry, Mr. Amdur, Mr. Skoss, and Mrs. Skoss.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Talking japanese festival

It's been a couple of years since I was there, but I plan on attending this year. Do you happen to have a schedule of events?

Or know the link to get one?

Another interesting event is the tea ceremony in the tea house on the island. It was an extra charge event, but worth it if you have never seen it.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret

Likes (received)

Mr. Lowry,

If you don't mind, I going to leave a copy of this thread in the "Seminar Anouncements" Forum. It may get lost in the Member's Lounge with the amount of posts that come in here.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Mr. Kohler,
    Thank you. A request was made for a schedule. Below is how it looks at this point. Obviously, some readers would like to know which ryu are presented at what time but we have not worked that out yet. We will probably try to present three ryu in each Auditorium session. If there is any interest, I will try to post a more exact schedule later in the summer.

SATURDAY—
    12:30-1:30 Koryu Bugei (Schoenberg Auditorium)
    1:00-2:00 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
    2:30-4:00 Koryu (Knolls)
    5:00-6:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)

SUNDAY
    10:00-11:00 Aikido (Lehman Lawn)
    12:30-1:30 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
    1:30-2:30 Koryu Bugei (Knolls)
    2:30-3:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
    4:00-5:00 Koryu Bugei ( Shoenberg Auditorium)

MONDAY
    10:00-11:00 Aikido (Lehman Lawn)
    11:30-12:30 Koryu Bugei (Shoenberg Auditorium)
    1:30-2:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
    3:00-4:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)
    Dave Lowry

Likes (received)

Moved as requested.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Mekugi Guest

Dave are you going to be in this?

Are you going to have tapes up for sale on e-budo, in which the proceeds would go to the Japanese Cultural Society or the Botanical Gardens? (nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink say-no-more).

Likes (received)

Mr. Ebert,
    Yes, I will be participating.

No plans at this time to video the demonstrations, though visitors of course are free to do so. If so, my part will be played by Tom Cruise.

Cordially,
    Dave Lowry

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast