Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

Likes (received)

Default Just step up and ask...

Scott,

I was one of the presenters. After our embu, we fielded some queries from interested audience members. Usually, before a group did a demo, we introduced ourselves and explained what was going to happen...and then we went at it, with just a bit of info added in now and then during the demo so as not to lose too many people.

The groups involved:
    Tenshin Sho Katori Shinto-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu, Shinto Muso-ryu jo, Toda-ha Bukko-ryu Naginata, Takenouchi-ryu kobudo.

For each of the three days, we did something different, just for the heck of it. Phil Relnick sensei of TSKSR often told his students what they were doing on THAT day, just before they went up to demo. "Just think of it like a usual practice session," he said.

For us, Takenouchi-ryu, on Saturday we showed some Bitchuden iaibatto, then Sunday we did some TR jutte, and on Sunday we did some TR iaijutsu, along with the usual kogusoku, grappling and sword stuff. I'm not sure how the audience took it (thanks for the comments) but among us, we had a blast watching each other and then eating and talking together afterwards and comparing notes and ideas.

I had never seen Ikkaku-ryu kusarigama (an adjunct ryu to Shinto Muso-ryu jo) until then. It was impressive.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Default Photos...

I put some photos in two Facebook albums. I think you can see these public photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1170071417

and here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1170071417

Enjoy, but don't ask me to "friend" you. I'm already way too friendly.

Wayne

Likes (received)

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it was a great event.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

Default Mistake...

One correction: The kusarigama ryu is Isshin-ryu, not Ikkaku-ryu. Another bonehead mistake by me.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Default d'oh

Wayne,

Well shoot. You're right. i should have gone up and talked to you guys.
    (trying to make up for that gaff by clumsily posting questions here!)

So are those groups based in or around St. Louis?
    Or are you spread out all over?
    - Scott Sandifer

Likes (received)

Default All over...

Scott,

No problemo. Maybe guys wearing what looks like dresses and waving big sticks are intimidating to people, after all. We're either nuts or Scottish (a Scottish acquaintance of mine might say that's redundant...after she took me to a Highland Festival in Edinburgh, I would tend to agree). But next time, do come over to talk story after the demo's.

The groups are sort of spread out. Diane and Meik Skoss fly in from New Jersey. Phil Relnick and his wife Nobuko come in from Seattle, and Rev. Clark and I are from Hawaii. On the other hand, Dave Lowry, who is based in St. Louis, does Shinto Muso-ryu jo in Relnick sensei's jo group, and he has a group of folk in Missouri doing it with him, and guy that came up from Kentucky to help demo. Relnick sensei, who also heads the Iizasa family/Otake sensei's line of Katori Shinto-ryu had a student come in from Chicago to do iaijutsu. The festival is turning into the only time when a lot of us from different koryu get together to demo, talk story and have fun.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Scott, to echo Wayne's earlier post there was a great deal of information shared prior to, during and after the demonstrations. There was limited information provided in the materials for the simple reason that to most people that information is irrelevant. With that said I am very glad you enjoyed what was presented. If you have any questions regarding the group in St. Louis feel free to ask. I am away from the computer the next few days but will send you a private message later this week if you would like additional information.

Wayne, greetings from Kentucky. I hope you made it home safely.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Default Great to have met

Jeff,

In the limited time we had, it was great to have met you. Meik and Dave both pointed you out to me as someone who came all the way from Kentucky to train, a very dedicated individual, all joking aside.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Wayne,

Time is always so rushed at the festival. I would have loved to have gotten the opportunity to chat. Maybe next year!

Good to see you. I am going to tag myself in one of the pictures you have posted on Facebook.

Take care,

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Default Next year...!

Jeff,

My wife willing, I'll see you next year!

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Wayne --

You need to reverse the plan. Next year, Honolulu, about February. I'm betting Jeff's wife will have zero problem agreeing to that gig, provided she gets to tag along.

Likes (received)

Default I like your thinking

Joe,

I like the way you think!

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Default February?

Yeah, February. That's a hard time here. It rains a bit more. It can get to be cold...maybe 75 degrees F at night. Shiver. I end up wearing a sweater because it's so cold! Ha.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Wayne --

Try this the other way.

Tell your wife that this year, you're taking her to Cleveland in February for vacation. Motel prices are good, you know.

Let us know how that goes over.

Likes (received)

Default Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

The koryu bugei will again be demonstrated at this year's Japanese Festival at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis.

The arts demonstrated will be Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Shinto Muso ryu, Takeuchi ryu and Toda ha Buko ryu. Demonstrators will include Phil Relnick, Nobuko Relnick, Meik Skoss, Diane Skoss, Dave Lowry, Wayne Muromoto and Clark Watanabe.

Again this is an incredible opportunity to see these classical Japanese arts demonstrated in public.

Aside from the koryu demonstrations the garden itself is incredible and well worth the price of admission.

Hope some of you can make it out.

http://www.mobot.org/events/japanese...ents/koryu.asp
    Jeff Brown

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast