Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is the Daito-ryu Takumakai "Soden" available for purchase?

Likes (received)

Default Is the Daito-ryu Takumakai "Soden" available for purchase?

As much as there are talks about the Takumakai, I am yet to encounter an English version of the famous "Soden", or at least something that will be a shorter version of the same. Are there any English language textbooks available particularly in the Takumakai style of Daito Ryu? .

Thanks, and I really appreciate any and all of the responses.

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

"Carry water, chop wood, dream".

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 14th June 2014 at 06:08.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Thanks Nathan!

On that note, do you think Mr. Oghami's approach is valid and/or valuable in terms of learning about the Takumakai style?

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Well, thanks anyway.

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Even though, I still appreciate your efforts in what seems now as a rather spiritual endevour.

The information is scarce, and various study groups and schools have their own rules of engagement, which goes without saying. I think that's where having some literature helps, if you know what i mean.

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

Likes (received)

I've seen a copy of the Soden and it is a very large set of books. I'm sure it would be VERY expensive just to reproduce a copy of it. It is full of very interesting techniques though. The closest book to it I have seen is Ueshiba's "Budo." That should give you an idea of the flavor of what I saw in the Soden.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Thanks for your response Kendoguy9!

I had this book "Budo" in the past and it was quite interesting - those graceful refined movements made a great impression on me at that time...Well, if that's the flavor of the "Soden" than i definitely want to see it someday! Not for the photos, but for the techniques, of course without a written explanation they wouldn't probably mean much, but still - as one looks at the old piece of art, with a certain awe, i think this is a similar feeling....

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

Likes (received)

As Nathan mentioned there are numerous Daito-ryu groups in the New York city. I know there is a mainline group in Hoboken (Jose's group) as well as Takumakai, and I think Kodokai in CT just outside the city. You should check out Daito-ryu first hand since you have so much interest in it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

This is a reasonable proposition, and thank you for that. But right now I don't have any intention of being thrown by anybody, neither do I want to be pinned to the ground, or have my joints "locked" (i know they can be) and so I ll just restrict my interest to a fan/enthusiast level for now and just try to get the information that's available.

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    igor A. lurye

Likes (received)

Thanks for the plug Chris, but we are in North Bergen, NJ

Jose Garrido
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonLight View Post
    This is a reasonable proposition, and thank you for that. But right now I don't have any intention of being thrown by anybody, neither do I want to be pinned to the ground, or have my joints "locked" (i know they can be) and so I ll just restrict my interest to a fan/enthusiast level for now and just try to get the information that's available.

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    With respect, Daito Ryu is a physical art. People with severe physical limitations can practice it profitably. You have access to at least three direct lineage schools in your area, which is more than most places in Japan!

Why would you NOT want to go and experience the Art first hand ?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonLight View Post

Sincerely,
    Igor Lurye.
    Igor: I'm curious, what is your interest in Daito Ryu - as a fan/enthusiast? Is this a cultural pursuit, historic, something else? Is it limited to Takumakai?
    Last edited by jdostie; 29th September 2012 at 19:56.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

@Jose Garrido: Yes Jose, I saw your website, and its pretty cool, especially i liked the photo from the younger days with young Kondo-sensei on the picture,

@muden: I understand your point muden, and i didn't say that i don't want to experience it before hand, I just said that i don't want to be thrown etc. right now. I come from a different background, so for me being thrown and pinned may mean something a little different than for you.

@jdostie: Thank you for this question Jdostie. My interest is mostly cultural and historical with a hope of learning a little technique along the way. The truth is that I don't see a real learning in fighting systems without their cultural background. Sambo is from the Soviet Union and Daito Ryu from medi-or post medieval Japan (without going into semantics), so I think its good to know these differences. I find it a fascinating art, and yes, I wouldn't mind having a "Soden" in my library someday, since that would greatly expand it in more ways than one. That said, it seems that it is the mainline Daito Ryu that's been very generous in revealing the bits and pieces of this art to those of us who are outside of the immediate Daito Ryu training.
    igor A. lurye

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast