Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: the knees

Likes (received)

I still don't know the closest ortho appointment is a month away. In the meantime, I am heating, icing, elevating, and not doing much in the way of lower body.
    I do have some gold jewelry to send you, in trade for that salve...bonus on the jewelry is, it also turns your skin a cool Hulk green!
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)

Johnny Yuma

Good luck with the appointment!

Sounds like your doing everything you can until you know more.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Has it been that long? 2 years! Really! Sorry!
    No excuses but 40 work week, 30 hour training week and Japanese life style has made it difficult to get to a computer! Plus e-budo was down for a time. Any way no excuse my humblest!
    The knees are better then ever thank you very much!

Sincerely Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Gil, knees can definitely be made to work again. I have an artificial left kneecap that was replaced in 1979, & have been training in MJER iaido, Shinto-Ryu iaido, & SMR jodo while teaching judo & European fencing since then.

The hard part is to not let scar tissue build up in the knee, & I'll tell you that hurts like hell, but is well worth working through the pain.

Good luck!

Ken

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    ..... I have an artificial left kneecap that was replaced in 1979, & have been training in MJER iaido, .....

Ken
    And the Tate Hiza in MJER can be a pain. LOL. We used to think it only hurt us gaijin but a Japanese training partner told us No, it hurts us to but we won't admit it.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Had my ortho appointment, I need an MRI with contrast. I have a pocket(6.5cm) of fluid (blood/ water) over my ligament that was injured, so nobody can see nothing...perhaps surgery is looming after all.
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Good luck, Gil. If it makes you feel any better, arthroscopic surgery can do wonders these days, although you'll not at all enjoy the pain of getting rid of the scar tissue that builds up. And you need to do that to continue with martial arts....

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Got my MRI, cyst turned out to be a hematoma (sic), starting back with standing kata only for a while (until I can at least sit in seiza again)!

Glad to be back, thanks to Ken for scaring the shite out of me, and thanks to cxt for his magic, my firstborn tulpa will be forthcoming; watch for him/ her!
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

A hematoma in the knee area is really quite unusual, Gil. Did the surgeon just remove it?

If they didn't have to replace or reinforce anything, then you shouldn't have very much scar tissue. But don't "baby" the knee at all, believe me. If you go as long as a week without bending it, it will stiffen so much that it'll be hard to get it back to enough flexibility for martial arts. I agree that seiza is out for a little while, but by the end of the second week after surgery, you should be able to at least get into seiza for a few seconds. Then it's just a matter of increasing the flexibility slowly, but surely. It's damn uncomfortable, but has to be done.

Good luck!

Ken

Likes (received)

Default We switched

Sorry, Ken, I was talking about my ankle...I know it was subject change, but I just now realized...
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)

A hemotoma to the ankle can be very uncomfortable and painful. Practicing Judo regularly has exposed this writer(57 yrs young) to this on various occasions.
    I deal with it by staying off of it for a few days (5-7) if possible, and use Ice and Arnica gel to accelerate healing. Arnica gel works very well in my experience so I keep stock of it in the Dojo for my students as well. If I can't stay off it I wrap it with Neoprene and inform students that the area is off contact limits for fear of doom and gloom .
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Rosemary oil, rubbing soft and a lot on the damaged ancle of knee, better before going to sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2