Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the knees

Likes (received)

Default the knees

Good day all,
    I have a question and I hope that this is the correct thread to ask it in. I have a question regarding the use/ transfering of power through the knees.
    As I have read "Kendo Reader" by Noma Hisashi,and "Aikido Shugyo" by Shioda Gozo there is a common thread about the use and relaxation of the knees and how this is a must.
    As I am a Canadian born and raised, therefore coming from a chair culture and being a bit "heavy" to say the least. I have found that my knees were pretty stiff. Since moving to Japan and living literally on the floor, as well as doing a lot more kneeling practice than I did in Canada, losing weight has probably helped, I have found that my knees have started to relax a LOT more. Also I started kendo to study how to get that dynamic back leg push, and freestyle with an unco-operative partner. Since I am STARTING to feel that transfer of power in all I do, it is very exciting! I wish to improve this feeling.
    So my question is as follows: what does anyone suggest about getting or developing more quick twitch muscle and back leg push power? I am open to any and all suggestions in this matter. I thank you in advance for your time.

sincerely Reg Sakamoto

p.s I may be slow to respond as I work at a junior high school and computer time is hit and miss, I apologize in advance.
    Reg Sakamoto
    a student of applied kinesiology through combatives.

Likes (received)

The leg exercises used by Sumo wrestlers can be effective. Sumo Shiko (相撲四股) You can find videos of it on you tube and whatnot.
    Good luck!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ahundara View Post
    ...what does anyone suggest about getting or developing more quick twitch muscle and back leg push power?
    The ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle fibers is pretty much set by genetics, but you can increase function of the muscles nature endowed you with through use.

In addition to the sumo excercises mentioned above, doing short sprints from blocks (alternating which leg is in front), standing broad jumps, etc. can be beneficial.

Just be sure not to over train, and allow plenty of recovery time between sessions. Once or twice a week sessions is enough when starting out.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

So my question is as follows: what does anyone suggest about getting or developing more quick twitch muscle and back leg push power? I am open to any and all suggestions in this matter. I thank you in advance for your time.
    I've nothing to add as far as exercises is concerned. I do want to point out though that distance and timing is much more important than speed in any of the Japanese sword arts.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

My Kendo Sensei would have us "duck-walk" with the shinai, back and forth across the dojo. It really helped to develop my jumping quickness and distance.

Basically, from Chudan no Kamae, squat down, maintaining lightness of the shinai. Then start walking. The focus is on maintaining a steady upper body and kamae.

I remember doing those for the first time, and people were falling over, myself included in the middle of the floor. Keep it up, do it every practice, and it will get easier.

Also, Joge-suburi (sic.) is very effective for learning the timing to the "pop" that comes with those crow-hops (backwards and forwards).
    Just my 2 cents...
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)

Did I say Joge? I meant Hai-Ai Suburi, sorry for the confusion!
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)

instead of thinking about your legs, think of throwing the hip forward as far/hard as you can... this works in a similar way but also strengthens the lower back at the same time and helps you relax the arms for cutting.
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Default the knees

You may find this area of research fruitful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Cheers

Malcolm

Likes (received)

Reg
    I suggest you wear knee supports if you can to prevent injury rather than after the fact. At 66 and a lifetime of Budo mostly in Japan I can assure you its the right thing to do. I live in tropical climate which helps. If you have pushed yourself to extremes you will feel the consequences in a cold climate. Just latex are fine.
    Last edited by hyaku; 31st July 2013 at 17:56.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

A long time in coming but I honestly thank one and all for the feed back. I will try the suggesstions! Thank you for your time and again I'm very sorry to reply soooo late!

Regards Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, Reg, nearly two years to acknowledge 8 posts is a bit late.... Have your knees gotten worse over that time period?

Ken

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    Yes, Reg, nearly two years to acknowledge 8 posts is a bit late...
    Oh, come on, it hadn't been nearly two years; just 603 days or 1.6520548 years.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I took up cycling to work (over the past two years) that has done wonders for my knee pain. Must work different muscles than from doing kenjutsu/taijutsu

Likes (received)

Now what to do about my ankle?
    I might be seeing an ortho(sic.) soon for surgery or what else...looking at long recovery time;
    maybe I am not looking at this the right way, but what can I be working on?
    And don't give me no "do what the Dr. says" stuff, I'm looking for some sort of secret overnight cure/salve...
    Gil Zepeda

Likes (received)

Johnny Yuma

As luck would have it...I have just such a salve......but given its rarity and secrecy.......I'm afraid its rather expensive. Oh....and please ignore the smell, you might think it smells just like Icy-Hot but its not........really.......its really a combination of rare Chinese herbs and pure, glacial waters......its merely a coincidence that it has a similar smell, consistence and color of Icy-Hot.

I can send you a 2 day supple but I only accept cash or gold bullion.

Seriously though--what are you maybe having done? I have had really good luck with pool workouts after joint/etc surgeries--knees and hip, so maybe ankles would work the same.....maybe.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast