Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Officer Safety: Former Military/LEO Chris Dorner rampage

Likes (received)

Default Officer Safety: Former Military/LEO Chris Dorner rampage

For LEO out there in Southern California and Nevada in particular, do a quick net search on "Chris Dorner manifesto". He is a highly trained former military Lt. and LEO who was fired from a major Dept in So Cal in 2008, and has spent the last 4 years planning retaliation against approx. 20 specific officers, and LE in general (on-duty or off-duty). My guess is he won't be with the land of the living for much longer, but BIG HEADS UP to anyone working the field in these areas right now. He murdered the daughter and fiance of his lawyer (a former police captain), and has ambushed two officers using a rifle in two other locations (Irvine and Riverside), resulting in several hits and one officer death in Riverside.

He is last known to reside in La Playa, So Cal, and has a second residence in Las Vegas. He appears to possibly be in the San Diego / San Bernadino / Riverside area currently. There was also a failed attempt last night to hijack a small boat in San Diego in an attempt to escape to Mexico.

I'll provide updates as I hear of them. LE in Los Angeles is on a Level 3 Tactical Alert right now, so if you are in the area, keep your head on a swivel. Dorner is a 6'02" Male Black with large build and bald head, last seen wearing military fatigues and heavily armed. Keep in mind the limitations of regular body armor, and if you have LE related stickers or other identifiers on your personal vehicles, watch your back.

(BTW, glad as hell to have e-budo back again. Thanks much John and George)
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 7th February 2013 at 21:39.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

It's on the radio as I write this.
    So bizarre. In the past several months, there have been a number of shooters on the rampage. I wonder whether it's a fluke, or a contagious effect (i.e. copycat-type or triggered by the Newtown, Conn. shootings). It just seems that there has been a rash of this kind of violence.

P.S. I've noticed that E-Budo has a lot of spambots getting accounts. I hope John or someone can keep up with screening them out. Good luck.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Hi,

I don't think this one is a copy-cat. This is a guy with a mostly military background, who was fired from a large LE Dept during a field evaluation period after graduating the academy. He was only a LEO for a total of 3 years, 1 of which was academy time. He then continued as a Navy Reserve officer until being "let go" on honorable discharge. Two days after his honorable discharge he started his revenge on LEO, with those specifically involved in his PD termination hearing and incident.

His "manifesto" can be found here in .pdf (edited in length and officer names removed for security reasons):

Chris Dorner Manifesto

This guy might feel "entitled" for some reason, but to all of us he is just a friggin coward. Blaming others for his own problems, and ambushing cops instead of opting for a fair fight. Screw him.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Latest is Dorner torched his Nissan Titan up in the mountains of Big Bear (So Cal) and is believed to possibly be on foot in the mountains. There are many vacant vacation houses up there, so PD is doing house-to-house searches and canvassing the forest. Weather may prevent late hour searches or the use of FLIR (thermal) equipped airships.

No guarantee he is still up there though...
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Nothing conclusive yet, but just to be safe the search has been expanded to Nevada, Arizona, and Mexico. Tactical Alert was lifted this morning for the city of LA. Multiple agencies are still searching the mountains of Big Bear.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

The other really sad thing is in the public's eye one nut job coward who cannot take responsibility for his own life like this does so much to damage the reputation LEO work so hard to develop. It is so sad that all of the countless sacrifices LEO make everyday get wiped out by one person. People look at you like you might be the next one to freak out when in reality this is a one in a million incident. It really cheeses me off.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Yeah, first time I've ever heard of it. Definitely the worse case scenario when it comes to people who decide to go postal. I guess firing him from PD and discharging him from the military reserves ended up being the right move. Too bad he couldn't have gotten filtered out during the application process, or, more closely watched after losing control while a recruit in the academy. A few red flags seem to have been overlooked.

BTW, LA City is on Tactical Alert again tonight as of this morning. No concrete updates to report. Search warrant on his house was served this afternoon, but I haven't heard what if anything they found there.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Despite the seriousness of the situation, something like this should never happen.

Women shot by cops were just delivering papers
    They were in the wrong car at the wrong time.

Two women who were delivering newspapers in Torrance, Calif., early Thursday were shot by jittery Los Angeles police officers who mistakenly thought cop-hunting fugitive Christopher Dorner might be in their vehicle, NBCLosAngeles.com reported.

One was shot once and the other twice; both were were expected to survive. Police did not release their names...
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ivering-papers
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

I agree, but I can guess what the officers must have seen. In the dark of night, while working a high-risk security detail for a named target, you see a blue pick-up truck rolling towards you slowly with the lights turned off (against the law). This time of the morning there is virtually no traffic on the street except for a vehicle coming towards you that in the dark appears to be consistent in shape and color as the suspect's vehicle. Driving slowly with the lights turned off during darkness hours is a known method used by gang bangers for conducting drive-by shootings, which Dorner would have known from his short stint as a police officer. The suspect is known to be a highly armed and motivated former military/LE officer. In the darkness it would not have been possible to make out who was inside the vehicle. Sounds like some pretty bad luck all around to me.

That being said, did the officers jump the gun a bit? I guess so. Maybe they saw the window being rolled down as the vehicle approached, or saw something being thrown out the window. We don't know, because none of us were there. But I do know that most civilians are too scared to even do a ride-along in south central, let alone take an oath, strap on a gun and badge, and put your life and the life of your family on the line for a bunch of people you don't know (and many of whom hate you). What many think they would do in the same situation is in fact NOT what they would really do if they were there, IMO.

BTW, there was a second shooting in Torrance in which Torrance PD officers fired on a blk pick up truck. Nobody was hit in this incident, and I don't know what the circumstances were for this shooting.

But have no fear, I do know that the two females and the driver of the blk truck have all got lawyers already and will be suing the crap out of the city of LA and Torrance for the errors in judgement. I'll look forward to another tax hike here to pay for these latest law suits.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

I am taking an ethics class in college with one of the instructors from my academy. Great guy and great teacher. Retired Lt. from a very highly regarded county department around here. Anyway, in the class he presented a pretty serious ethical problem he ran into as a young officer in the city and asked me to respond first. I made a quick joke about getting an application for another department (actually something he ended up doing over another case) and then said "I can't play Monday morning QB" in regards to what he did. Everyone kind of rolled their eyes because it sounded like a cop out. I then followed it up with the response that'd I'd like to think I would have done; the thing is you never know until you are in the situation. You really don't. I'd like to think that if I were in that patrol car and I saw that truck I would have realized there were two women throwing news papers in it and nothing would have happened. In reality I have no idea what I would have done in that situation. There are clear cases when police abuse their power but I do not think this is one of those cases. For those that think they can do better please sign up for the job because we always need more good people in LE.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Default From a citizen's side

Of course, I do not think the officers acted out of malevolence in the shootings mentioned.

Here's the dilemma, speaking as a citizen. If there is a reason to believe that I will be shot (without warning or without sufficient warning), if I, my vehicle or my behavior remotely resembles that of a perpetrator, then declare martial law:
    1. Inform the citizenry what actions will get them killed - just as is done in Iraq. Drive up to a check-point and don't stop, for whatever reason, you and your family would have been shot.
    2. Make a public service announcement to people who in the remotest way resemble the perp that one would be wise to stay off the street. I know, that's absurd - "attention all African-American - no, scratch that - all dark skinned males, who are bald - no, scratch that, wearing a hat, that might suggest hiding a bald head - no, scratch that, with hair that could be assumed to be a wig - -- - " Yes, utterly absurd.

But it shouldn't be up to us to guess what will get us killed by a police officer. In ordinary circumstances, I know exactly what would earn that. If these circumstances are exceptional, make it clear. And the standard should be what an elderly woman and her daughter, going to work as they always do, should need to know.

Also, re lawsuits: There certainly are a lot of frivolous law suits. But when there is no criminal action by a professional, a lawsuit may be the only way to force change when there has been poor training or poor hiring practices or . . . . For example, I'm aware of a large municipal agency that have no defensive tactics refreshers or training for over twelve years, pleading budget issues. Improper use of force in several cases resulted in lawsuits, resulting in training changes. And another where someone was killed by officers acting in good faith, where they had not been trained in skills that the city claimed that had. (The officers were not found personally responsible, but the city was - now the training that was claimed is actually happening). Yeah, it's a blunt instrument - you have budget issues compounded by the lawsuit - so if that blunt instrument won't happen so often, (frivolouss lawsuits will always happen), remove the justification.

Likes (received)

Obviously, in a perfect world, nobody would be shot by mistake due to mistaken identity. However, there are a number of factors, some of which have not been made public yet, that when put together, would probably make the majority of trained officers be *at least* extremely close to pulling the trigger, if not pulling the trigger. The fact is, it wasn't just one poorly trained cop that shot prior to checking ID's, it was several cops of various levels of experience and from two different departments - who shot at *two different vehicles* in the same area. This kind of thing is highly unusual, so logic dictates (to me at least) that they collectively may have experienced something that we don't understand having not been there ourselves in their shoes.

Also, I'd bet that if the paper girls had been driving normally (ie: not violating traffic laws), they would have raised less red flags.

Again, I realize these people are innocent, and shouldn't have been shot / shot at, but I submit that there are a number of things that a lot of people on the net and in the media are too quick to write off as irrelevant.

Personally, I think it is more a case of some serious bad luck all around more than a case of poorly trained officers (IMO).

FWIW,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

BTW, for those of you who would like to get rich quick, LA has just offered a ONE MILLION DOLLAR reward for his capture! Go team.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Now is that one million dollars taxable income?
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    BTW, for those of you who would like to get rich quick, LA has just offered a ONE MILLION DOLLAR reward for his capture! Go team.
    Does that mean that police will now have to deal with trigger-happy amateur bounty hunters on top of all of their other problems?
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast