Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Future Of E-budo.com

Likes (received)

From Post #44, by elder999, Aaron Jeffrey Cuffee
    I'd suggest, then, using what time is available to copy and move what one considers important, until John is contacted, or the site is taken down....
    From Post #49, by Ken-Hawaii, Ken Goldstein
    Aaron, doing things your way would almost certainly violate copyrights, & I don't choose to participate.
    From Post #55, by elder999
    Copying portions of the website, rather than e-budo in its entirety, would constitute "fair use," and not be a copyright violation of any kind-especially if such content were not shared for profit.
    From Post #69, by Ken-Hawaii
    I've also tried to capture the entire Web-site as a PDF using Acrobat Professional, but the software crashes long before the job is finished. Not sure why this is happening as I've captured 800-MB sites with no problem.

What good is a forum with a history, if you never get to look back?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    Aaron, if you think this a scam, then by all means find someone else to take over the effort! I DON'T know John Lindsey nor anything about his employment or income status. I DO know that I want e-Budo to stay up & running, & as no one else was doing anything about it, I decided to contact other forumites to see if anyone else was interested. Seems like a mixed bag.

I am the owner of a computer consulting company ([URL=www.catii.com[/URL]) which my wife & I have run since 1986. I started training in martial arts in 1951 - judo & European fencing - & still train in MJER iaido & SMR jodo. Feel free to contact either of my Sensei (kaifukan@hawaii.rr.com) & (quintinchambers@yahoo.com) to find anything else you would like to know. I've also been on this forum for quite a few years, in case you didn't notice.

On the amount collected, if you check a few messages back, you'll see that I suggested that anyone who could afford $50 should send that to either my PayPal of corporate post office box. Once the nominal $640 is collected ($50 will be my contribution), I will send a check to Bill at Orionweb to catch up on the arrears plus six months in advance for hosting services. I can certainly post a photo of the check, & I've already posted Bill's e-mail for anyone who wants to check with him. He is willing to work with me because I'm the only person who has shown any interest.

Aaron, I just got out of the hospital last week after major emergency surgery, so I have a bit of time to spend on this problem while I'm recuperating. But if you want to do nothing but snipe, please start your own thread! I'm perfectly willing to have someone else take this over, AS LONG AS SOMETHING IS ACTUALLY GETTING DONE!

Disgustedly,
    Ken Goldstein, Ph.D., P.E., MCSE
    <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
    Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaido Yudansha
    Shinto Muso-Ryu Jodo Oku-Iri
    Shinto-Ryu Iaido Disciple
    Judo Kodansha & Sensei
    Fencing Master
    Past President, Japanese Sword Society of Hawaii
    Taiko Disciple
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Adjunct Professor

Exec. VP/CEO
    Computer-Aided Technologies International, Inc.
    P.O. Box 260
    Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744-0260
    (808) 521-2259 (o) (808) 239-7950 (h)
    jssh@catii.com
    -sigh-

Look, Ken-I'm not accusing you of anything-though it is a little suspicious that you reacted just as a scammer would, with an explanation of who you are, rather than what would happen to any overage, disgustedly throwing your virtual hands into the air-but I'm (as many here will tell you) paranoid so don't take it personally. In fact, suppose John Lindsey is actually suing Ken and Orionweb, something that Ken neglected to tell you, in an effort to get from you what he knows (for whatever possible reason) John does not owe him ....your intentions may be completely above board, but-and this is all I've been trying to say-we don't have all the information we need to proceed until we hear from John Lindsey...
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Good question, Harlan. I've done a number of searches looking for an archive like that, but no luck so far.

As an Adobe reseller, I've also tried to capture the entire Web-site as a PDF using Acrobat Professional, but the software crashes long before the job is finished. Not sure why this is happening as I've captured 800-MB sites with no problem. Is there a moderator who can give us an idea of how large e-Budo has become?

Ken
    Oh, really?

Aaron, doing things your way would almost certainly violate copyrights, & I don't choose to participate.
    ???
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Gentlemen,
    Let's please not get into any knock-down-drag-outs here. It's great that enough people have come forward to express their desire to keep E-Budo up and running or to at least "build an ark" to float the database to safety as an archive. It would be a shame to see such goodwill get quashed.

I agree that it's just good business sense to make sure everything is on the level... e.g. that the web hosting site is owed the amount it claims, and that we have a legitimate and safe way to send funds to pay the bill to buy time while we try to get John's input. It's easy to act from our emotions, but it's neither cruel nor cold to require that monies sent are indeed owed, and are received by the right person(s). I understand Aaron's reservations completely; no one should take them personally.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post

I agree that it's just good business sense to make sure everything is on the level... e.g. that the web hosting site is owed the amount it claims, and that we have a legitimate and safe way to send funds to pay the bill to buy time while we try to get John's input. It's easy to act from our emotions, but it's neither cruel nor cold to require that monies sent are indeed owed, and are received by the right person(s). I understand Aaron's reservations completely; no one should take them personally.
    Agree totally-- this is why I have been suggesting (and will try one last time ) that we ask if Orionweb would be willing to keep the website up for a little while as long as we pay the $20 a month or $30 a month or whatever it is. We can work on the $600 arrears later when we have a better idea of what is going on. It would be a no-loose for Orionweb.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Let's please not get into any knock-down-drag-outs here. It's great that enough people have come forward to express their desire to keep E-Budo up and running or to at least "build an ark" to float the database to safety as an archive. It would be a shame to see such goodwill get quashed
    NO "knock-down-drag-outs" I've expressed my misgivings, and I'm done. All and sundry can do as they please, of course. I am, afgter all, admittedly suspicious by nature and practice-though, in this case, I do not think my suspicions are misplaced.

More to the point, as I've said, it doesn't quite seem honorable to me without hearing from John Lindsey-e-budo has been down before for long periods of time, and he's always brought it back in the past-all we have is hearsay, at this point, as what the situation really is....

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    Agree totally-- this is why I have been suggesting (and will try one last time ) that we ask if Orionweb would be willing to keep the website up for a little while as long as we pay the $20 a month or $30 a month or whatever it is. We can work on the $600 arrears later when we have a better idea of what is going on. It would be a no-loose for Orionweb.
    An eminently sensible approach, I think-if possible- and certainly not one that requires the precipitous step of taking a large, blind collection of funds, and a usurpation of stewardship...
    Aaron J. Cuffee

- H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

John will be responding shortly. I have to reset his password.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Well, it's Friday afternoon here in Hawaii, & this is when I had planned to start the donation process.

Based on George's statement that John will be responding shortly, I am hesitant to proceed so soon, so let's see what happens by Monday. I've been in communication with Bill at Orionweb on what is happening, & copied the message to George, BTW.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Okay, not too surprisingly there is no communication from John. So with the hope that John will realize that our efforts are to keep e-Budo.com up & running, I think today is the time to start gathering funds to bring the arrears on Orionweb.net up to date, & to pay a bit in advance on the reduced monthly hosting payments.

Anyone who is interested in helping with this effort can contribute, as follows:

paypal@catii.com

or

Ken Goldstein
    Computer-Aided Technologies
    P.O. Box 260
    Kaneohe, HI, USA 96744-0260

Please include your real name, user name, & e-mail address so that I can keep track of who donates what.

The first $600 donated will be used to pay the arrears; amounts collected above that will be used to prepay monthly hosting fees up to one year (12 X $15 = $180). Any donations above that amount will be gratefully returned to the sender. I will post a list every day or two on who has contributed.

I can only hope that John realizes that we are trying to help out to keep a valuable resource alive & well, rather than trying to "usurp" the site. However, if John chooses to sign over e-Budo.com to George, me, or anyone else who is interested in keeping it alive, I would have no complaints.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Aloha!

Ken
    Ken Goldstein

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

I think today is the time to start gathering funds to bring the arrears on Orionweb.net up to date, & to pay a bit in advance on the reduced monthly hosting payments.
    Ken, did you give any thought to my suggestion? I think it might be a very good way to handle this problem in the short-term.
    David Sims

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Paul, I did see your suggestion, but Orionweb has made it clear that they're not as interested in hosting fees as they are in getting the arrears paid off.

Bill will keep the site up & running until/unless I tell him that no progress is being made in getting that nut paid off - then it will be up to someone else besides me to figure out what to do.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)

Paul,
    Who?

Otherwise, makes sense.
    David Sims

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Sorry, David. Been back & forth to the hospital for CT scan & tests, & my brain has seen better days.

Anyone who has questions about Orionweb can contact:

William Knoernschild
    Orion Group, LLC
    N69 W25055 Indiangrass Lane, Suite F
    Sussex, WI 53089
    Phone: 262-820-9520

Ken
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

I've had only one donation so far - thank you! - along with the suggestion that donors be anonymous. Feelings on this?

Ken
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)

Hi Ken,

I just sent $20 to the paypal ad, thanks for you efforts here.
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    Shorin Ryu Seito Matsumura Karate and Kobudo UK
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast