Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Future Of E-budo.com

Likes (received)

My concerns are about copying and/or moving any material, and "comandeering" the site, either as-is or in founding a non-profit to embody it, without John's approval. I do think we should go ahead and pay what's owed, and figure out how to financially keep the site going until we have resolved ownership-management issues.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Following up on what Cady said, I would love to know if Orionweb would be willing to keep the site running for, say, six months, on condition of receiving the agreed $20 a month, with the understanding that we would use that grace period to try and get together the arrears and make arrangements with John Lindsey.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Hi all,

I agree that there is no harm in preserving the site by paying back dues until we can determine how John wants to proceed. Not doing anything risks having the information lost, and prevents us from discussing the subject like we are now. Let's pay up the dues and maintain the site until John can be reached.

BTW, I'm also very happy to see so much support for preserving this forum. I view it as important as well.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Aaron, doing things your way would almost certainly violate copyrights, & I don't choose to participate.

Paul, it's my intention to do exactly as you suggest. I also can't see how or why John would object on our paying money on his behalf to keep e-Budo in existence. We're certainly not stealing anything from him, although if we can find some way to "buy" the Web-site content from him, I think that would be a good long-term solution. I can't really understand his mind-set on not keeping a good site up & running....

So on Friday, I will ask everyone to contribute at least $50 to the "Keep e-Budo alive" fund, either via PayPal or a check/money order to the addresses I posted earlier. Once the funds have arrived, I will write a corporate check to Orionweb for the $600 plus six months of future hosting (another $90 at the new $15/month rate). This will give us time to see if John is ready/willing/able to work with us.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Default Kickstart???

Would could a kickstart for this maybe??? just a thought.
    James L. Fitzgerald
    Senso Ryu (99/03)
    Hakuho ryu Indy study group
    http://thejumonkan.webs.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    Would could a kickstart for this maybe??? just a thought.
    Is that meant to make sense? Are there some words missing perhaps?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Is that meant to make sense? Are there some words missing perhaps?
    I think it's a reference to Kickstarter, an online crowdfunding platform used by individuals and small businesses to solicit donations/purchases.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Kickstarter is used primarily to introduce a new product or service, something that can eventually be delivered to investors. We, on the other hand, are just trying to keep an existing Web-site up & running for our personal use & enjoyment.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

I would be happy to send soem money- do we use the paypal account listed previously?
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    Shorin Ryu Seito Matsumura Karate and Kobudo UK
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    Aaron, doing things your way would almost certainly violate copyrights, & I don't choose to participate.
    Copying portions of the website, rather than e-budo in its entirety, would constitute "fair use," and not be a copyright violation of any kind-especially if such content were not shared for profit. Hell, I've got every thread I ever started and cared about archived as a Word document...:lol:

Paul, it's my intention to do exactly as you suggest. I also can't see how or why John would object on our paying money on his behalf to keep e-Budo in existence.
    Perhaps he simply wants it to die, as is his right-perhaps he'd object to keeping it in existence.

We're certainly not stealing anything from him, although if we can find some way to "buy" the Web-site content from him, I think that would be a good long-term solution. I can't really understand his mind-set on not keeping a good site up & running....
    We certainly would be stealing-I've been a "guest" in John's "house" for 11 years-the fact that he's been largely absent for most of the last three of those years in no way gives me a right to take over-even if he's missed a few mortgage payments...to do so might be legal, and it might even be fair, but it doesn't strike me as particularly honorable.

So on Friday, I will ask everyone to contribute at least $50 to the "Keep e-Budo alive" fund, either via PayPal or a check/money order to the addresses I posted earlier. Once the funds have arrived, I will write a corporate check to Orionweb for the $600 plus six months of future hosting (another $90 at the new $15/month rate). This will give us time to see if John is ready/willing/able to work with us.

Ken
    And this sounds suspiciously like a scam to me-no offense meant, but I know John, and the mere idea that he's unable to afford $600...what with his, erm.....overseas employment is difficult, though not impossible, for me to comprehend. Likewise, I know Cady, and Professor Goldsbury, and Nathan, and Joe Svinth, and I'm sure Chris Li would vouch for you-but I don't know you. I also think you'll easily collect more than $690 this way, and see no indication of how that extra funding would be utilized...since you seem to have established some sort of relationship with the people at Orionweb, maybe we'd all be better served if you told them the state of things with e-budo, and insisted on more time to get a hold of John Lindsey.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Aaron raises some excellent points. As soon as money is involved, there must be a solid plan laid out for how any overage will be used, who will manage it, and how. Maybe a running account on Orion where we can "deposit" any overage that is donated, and a contact point where Orion's people can give us an account balance so we know when to pony up more payments.

I don't know the OP either, actually, and in addition, can't afford the "at least 50 dollars." As I stated, I'll give what I can.

What seems simple on the surface is fraught with complex issues, which we must hammer out before anyone send money, or any agreements are made with Orion.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

....and those who know me know that I'm the last person who would cry poverty-no offense meant to anyone, but I can certainly afford the $600 necessary-if that's all that's necessary, besides, of course, John Lindsey's say so-I think our tequila bill for Christmas alone was that much...
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

I'm not "crying poverty," I'm frankly stating it. This post is being sent from a cheap dial-up provider and an old landline. No cable, no fiber optics.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Cady, that isn't a sign of poverty. That's a sign that you're posting from 1995.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

I don't know which is worse!
    Cady Goldfield

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast