Likes Likes:  7
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I See Dead People

Likes (received)

Those three in the robes look like they're either on their way to the onsen or some kind of cult ritual.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Those three in the robes look like they're either on their way to the onsen or some kind of cult ritual.
    Dead Man's Onsen?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Scardina View Post
    Could it be said that suppliers are not concerned with martial art formalities, they have a product to sell, not a appropriate dress codes
    I'm sure that's very true. However, if they are going to be stupid enough to not bother to perform a modicum of research about the products they sell, I'll gladly make fun of them for it!

It's the same with Geico insurance. I refuse to have anything to do with them because they had a radio spot here for years proclaiming the gecko the official Texas amphibian.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

4. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I'm sure that's very true. However, if they are going to be stupid enough to not bother to perform a modicum of research about the products they sell, I'll gladly make fun of them for it!
    And I shall happily join in!

...they had a radio spot here for years proclaiming the gecko the official Texas amphibian.
    As a fan of reptiles and amphibians, I can only say... MORE DEAD PEOPLE ON THE WAY!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    That could be true. On the other hand, "know your customers" is as true in martial arts circles as anywhere else. John T. Molloy, the author of "Dress for Success," tells the story of some Texan businessmen whom he advised not to wear bolo ties and cowboy boots to a particular meeting in New York. He says the men said "If they don't like the way we dress they can go to hell," to which he replied, "Yes, but they'll go there without buying your products."
    But you have to understand, the products they sell do not just have a Japanese base. Along with that, if they were selling your favorite brand at the best price, you wouldn't mind, even overlook a model not dressed to code
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

But you have to understand, the products they sell do not just have a Japanese base. Along with that, if they were selling your favorite brand at the best price, you wouldn't mind, even overlook a model not dressed to code
    I'm sure if they were selling my brand at the best price, I would buy it from them. However, I would still happily make fun of them for being ignorant. In fact, I will happily make fun of anyone that is content to wallow in their ignorance and not bother to learn. There is just no excuse in today's information age for people to do things without expending a tiny bit of effort in research.

Geckos are reptiles not amphibians, and Japanese clothing is worn left over right (unless you're dead). Both of those facts took me less than a minute each to check.

As I used to tell my Scouts .... "If you find yourself making excuses, stop and figure out what you've messed up. You won't find one without the other."
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

But if the gi was purchased for a Korean or Chinese art, how would those people know of the "Japanese fashion"?
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

But if the gi was purchased for a Korean or Chinese art, how would those people know of the "Japanese fashion"?
    Who cares? I certainly don't. If it bothers you so much, then simply quit reading. There are many more important issues in the world for you to champion than this one. Either contribute to the thread topic (the forum is Budo fun in case you hadn't noticed), or cease posting in it.
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

Who cares? I certainly don't. If it bothers you so much, then simply quit reading. There are many more important issues in the world for you to champion than this one. Either contribute to the thread topic (the forum is Budo fun in case you hadn't noticed), or cease posting in it.
    So, I can't have fun making a joke out of a joke?

If people are going to hash over small details/technicality about the gi top, I can't hash upon with details/technicality within this?

It doesn't bother me, I think it is rather interesting to spot details/technicality of a subject
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

If a Japanese style dogi was bought for a Korean or Chinese art, I would ask "Why?"
    (And there is probably a section in some Korean martial arts forum and Chinese martial arts forum devoted to people who wear their uniforms incorrectly or just wear bizzare uniforms)
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

12. Likes Richard Scardina liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    If a Japanese style dogi was bought for a Korean or Chinese art, I would ask "Why?"
    (And there is probably a section in some Korean martial arts forum and Chinese martial arts forum devoted to people who wear their uniforms incorrectly or just wear bizzare uniforms)
    I have seen many schools out there purchase Japanese dogi that were not Japanese.

I am surprised that you haven't known about people who have opened Chinese/Korean martial art schools while using "Japanese' terminology as well

"Incorrect" is a matter of opinion as people tend to do things different either for recognition or under-par informed

Lots of people see Judo and call it Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Although they maybe "technically incorrect", their terminology is used to "reference martial arts"

The main issue is, these are merely advertisements by people who are not interested with "technical" applications. They only want to be accurate with the color and price, using a model to sell their wares.

I have seen many ads, not only of martial arts that the photo or subject, has a flaw, but the ad isn't about focusing on the flaw, just "the message"

So while, Japanese martial artists can poke fun from these, also imagine people poking fun in return
    Last edited by Richard Scardina; 12th September 2013 at 00:19.
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

I like it when people refer to budoka as "those guys in pyjamas". Really brings it down to earth. There is an element of truth, given the origins of keikogi/dogi, which makes it difficult to argue back.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

15. Likes Richard Scardina liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    I like it when people refer to budoka as "those guys in pyjamas". Really brings it down to earth. There is an element of truth, given the origins of keikogi/dogi, which makes it difficult to argue back.
    This is what I meant by "poking fun in return"

One can use humor with technicality, or without

Less not forget about those guys moving around in "skirts"
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

That does beg the question. One of the photos above is definitely of a Moo Duk Kwan practitioner, and in the group photo where the guys are wearing their tops "properly" but the gals are wearing them "wrong," the color scheme of the uniforms suggests a Korean art as well (Hapkido?), although there are no patches or insignia to indicate it directly.

So, is this "dead person" way of placing the lapels exclusive to Japan, or is it more widely a tradition in other Far East cultures?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Back to our regular programming...

As you can see, there is no "flopping" here - the doji has been put on the wrong way.

So this kid is a zombie!

This one was labelled "Karate expert does martial art salute". I'm thinking, "Zombies in kempo"!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast