Likes Likes:  7
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: I See Dead People

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    That does beg the question. One of the photos above is definitely of a Moo Duk Kwan practitioner, and in the group photo where the guys are wearing their tops "properly" but the gals are wearing them "wrong," the color scheme of the uniforms suggests a Korean art as well (Hapkido?), although there are no patches or insignia to indicate it directly.

So, is this "dead person" way of placing the lapels exclusive to Japan, or is it more widely a tradition in other Far East cultures?
    Interesting. Could perhaps, people see males wearing it one way, "expect" females to wear it the other?

Or is it a matter of "there is no wrong way to eat a Reese's"?
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

I wonder if the v-neck jackets we see a lot of taekwondo folks wearing is a result of lapel confusion.

Likes (received)

I would just apply Occam's famed razor, and say that the jackets are worn "wrong" through simple ignorance of old Japanese/Korean custom.
    As for V-necks, that style is the one introduced by the WTF (South Korea's official taekwon-do organization), and my guess is that it was created to move TKD even farther away from its Japanese-karate roots, make it simpler to dress, and maybe because v-necks look "cool."
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    As for V-necks, that style is the one introduced by the WTF (South Korea's official taekwon-do organization), and my guess is that it was created to move TKD even farther away from its Japanese-karate roots, make it simpler to dress, and maybe because v-necks look "cool."
    For which I am grateful, as it means the media have an easier time separating the taekwondo folks from the karate folks, instead of lumping them all together.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    For which I am grateful, as it means the media have an easier time separating the taekwondo folks from the karate folks, instead of lumping them all together.
    Same for the Kung Fu folks.......
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    I would just apply Occam's famed razor, and say that the jackets are worn "wrong" through simple ignorance of old Japanese/Korean custom.
    So you're saying that it is, in fact, also a custom in Korea. I wasn't sure about that, and I haven't seen my Korean aunt in several months to ask her. Thanks.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    So you're saying that it is, in fact, also a custom in Korea. I wasn't sure about that, and I haven't seen my Korean aunt in several months to ask her. Thanks.
    Brian,
    Yeah, I don't know why I stuck "/Korean" in there.

My thought was more that living Koreans wear wrap-like jackets left-over-right, and it's considered improper to wear it right-over-left.
    When I trained in "old" taekwon-do (i.e. Gen. Choi's system), we wore karate-type doboks with jackets that tied left-over-right. This might have been because TKD essentially was Shotokan karate, and Gen. Choi simply took it, with all the Japanese protocols and taboos attached, to Korea during the Occupation. That would include the uniform (dobok), which was modeled after Jigoro Kano's adaptation of workmen's clothing for durable judo attire. However, Korean TKD people say today that the dobok (uniform) was modeled after the traditional Korean hanbok, which is worn left-over-right. My Korean instructors told me on several occasions that it was improper to wear the dobok tied right-over-left. Likewise, Korean Buddhist garments, such as the meditation jacket used in Sun (Zen) Buddhism, ties and buttons left-over-right. I don't know whether Koreans did or do consider it taboo to wear wrapping garments right-over-left, but in my experience the Korean folks I've known were very particular about not wearing clothing that way, though they didn't say why.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 16th September 2013 at 17:39.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Some people claim the forums are dead.
    Nope, only the karate-gi wearers are dead.

self-defence-girl-18503900.jpg
    Last edited by Andrew S; 16th June 2014 at 21:33.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

I wonder if the 'L' she's forming with her hand has any significance?
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I wonder if the 'L' she's forming with her hand has any significance?
    "L" is for "left" - even if she's doing it with her right!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Likes (received)

Even headgear won't protect you from the karate undead!
    %u0025e7%u0025a9%u0025ba%u0025e6%u002589%u00258b%u0025e3%u002581%u0025ae%u0025e3%u002583%u0025a6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Andrew S; 17th June 2014 at 21:54.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5