Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions on Extinct Ryuha

Likes (received)

Default Questions on Extinct Ryuha

I'm trying to learn all I can about the extincet ryuha associated with shinobi arts. Schools like Negoro ryu, Haguro ryu, Tengu ryu, Tatara ryu, etc. Can anyone point me to a resource that will explain the histories and specialties of these ryuha?
    Lee Brown

Likes (received)

Lee,
    That might be very difficult in many ways. I know there are others on this forum that are a lot more qualified than I but I can say this. Various Koryu have an Omote (outer teaching) and Ura (inner teaching). The Omote or "outside" being what they show beginners or others at an embu (demonstration). In a nut shell, what they don't mind you seeing. Then comes the Ura "inner" teaching. That is the stuff they don't show others or only share with others when they have earned the right to see such things. You really can't blame them for feeling this way. We are still intrigued with the question but the answer might not ever be known. I am sure there are other Koryu than might teach an aspect of Ninjutsu or Shinobi no Mono in their system but getting them to show it or even speak about it would be a rather hard task indeed. Some of these skills might even be obsolete in todays time and might not be worth bringing up. It is very possible though. Good luck on your search. Have a great day!
    Tray Crocker
    Tracy Crocker

Likes (received)

There probably isn't a whole lot of resources, if any, on this particular subject that have been written or translated into English. Perhaps there are some Japanese resources available, but unfortunately I'm just taking a guess.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo