Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BSKF Beat WSKO

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default BSKF Beat WSKO

Much as I dislike certain individuals within the BSKF it is good to see common sense prevail

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/...lts/o25813.pdf
    Steve Moore

Where there’s a will there’s a wont!

Likes (received)

I'm impressed that the news has spread so fast - more people keep an eye on the IPO rulings page than I had ever considered possible

I hope that everyone is doing well and is in good health down in Bournemouth - please give my regards to those who remember me from the good ol' days.

Best regards,
    Mike Sadler

Likes (received)

I quite enjoyed:

The use must be by way of real commercial exploitation of the mark on the market for the relevant goods or services, i.e. exploitation that is aimed at maintaining or creating an outlet for the goods or services or a share in that market
    Which they failed to do, as:

Instead, WSKO members were ordered, on pain of expulsion,
    to purchase clothing from these suppliers. One can only assume that WSKO received a commission on these goods, as they appear to be regarded, by the purchasers, as being significantly over priced. The Japanese companies did not seek out custom from the UK; UK consumers were forced to go to these companies despite the problems of dealing with companies which did not make any real concessions to non-Japanese speaking clients.
    The irony is killing me
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm View Post
    Much as I dislike certain individuals within the BSKF it is good to see common sense prevail

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/...lts/o25813.pdf
    Dislike? Age has mellowed you
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

And the judgment in the Appeal was handed down this morning. Here it is http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2014/285.pdf
    Last edited by David Dunn; 17th February 2014 at 14:28. Reason: typo

Likes (received)

Default Pandora's box?

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    And the judgment in the Appeal was handed down this morning. Here it is http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2014/285.pdf
    Thanks for sharing this info., and well done for taking on an opponent with a lot more resources than you - regardless of the result.

However, I wonder if you have opened a Pandora's box? Can anyone who has previously trained with the BSKF start their own association/federation and claim to be teaching Shorinji Kempo? If the term "Shorinji Kempo" is simply a generic term like "karate" then presumably the answer is yes.
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indar View Post
    Thanks for sharing this info., and well done for taking on an opponent with a lot more resources than you - regardless of the result.

However, I wonder if you have opened a Pandora's box? Can anyone who has previously trained with the BSKF start their own association/federation and claim to be teaching Shorinji Kempo? If the term "Shorinji Kempo" is simply a generic term like "karate" then presumably the answer is yes.
    Congratulations guys.

This ruling should not come as a surprise to anyone with half a brain.

Mind you I could always establish the "Bournemouth Shorinji Kempo Federation" (BSKF).

See you in court!
    Steve Moore

Where there’s a will there’s a wont!

Likes (received)

Default Irony indeed

Does this judgement mean that the BSKF now has to allow me to practise Shorinji Kempo?

"Please desist training in Shorinji Kempo immediately, until such time that the BSKF considers otherwise"

From a letter to me on BSKF headed notepaper and signed by the BSKF general secretary, dated 6th September 2008.
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Well people change opinions it seems:
    The cultural issue is of the 'iemoto' system:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/iemoto
    which is explicitly undemocratic. Essentially, you can't change it - that is the nature of the organisation. I don't think there is much point in having a discussion about whether WSKO should be democratic, because it ain't going to happen.

It also makes the issue of authenticity fairly easy. If you're not registered with hombu as a branchmaster, then it isn't authentic Shorinji Kempo. In Europe, Aosaka Sensei is the headmaster, appointed by Kaiso, and likewise with Mizuno Sensei in the UK. We can't have a vote to change that.
    The bold highlighting is by me.

I had (still has from my point of view, even if I haven't met them IRL for a few years now) many good friends on both sides (or maybe several sides now since other people have left and formed their own organisations) of the breakup in UK.
    What I find strange is that the people ("BSKF") who have left WSKO and obviously don't like the Shorinji Kempo hombu still wants to call what they do for Shorinji Kempo.
    If I had left I would call it something totally different, but on the other hand if I left I would most likely not do any type of martial art at all.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

10. Likes Steve Williams liked this post
    Likes (received)

Apologies again Kari for a mis-quote above. It should of course have been:

"All paths do not lead to the top."

My question however remains the same.

Likes (received)

That's two, but let's not forget the incident of leaving a kenshi to have a heart attack outside in the car park whilst he was watched by 'sensei' from the window. Safely inside with no responsibilty. Leader? My arse. I'm not particularly talented either and certainly to fat! 😄

Likes (received)

Before this gets any sillier, I must point out the grammatical slip-up before I burst.
    Most of the talented and formally dedicated instructors who (in Great Britain) have left WSKO.....
    Sean, did you mean "formerly dedicated" (as in, "used to be"), or "formally dedicated" (as in "those who had it stamped on them")? That could be Ade, with his tattoo...
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Before the split BSKF had (to my knowledge) one 7th dan and three 6th dan Senseis. (Not counting Mr. Mizuno)
    None of them remain in BSKF now.

Makes one wonder...
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

15. Likes JL. liked this post
    Likes (received)

Before the split, one eighth dan (Mizuno sensei), one seventh (Maehara), one sixth (Jee sensei), several fifth (Russ Jenkins, Peter Moore, Paul White, Terry Goodman, Yasue Kadowaki, Cailey Barker).
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

Before the split, one eighth dan (Mizuno sensei), one seventh (Maehara), one sixth (Jee sensei), several fifth (Russ Jenkins, Peter Moore, Paul White, Terry Goodman, Yasue Kadowaki, Cailey Barker).
    Ok, then Russ Jenkins and and Peter Moore got their sixth dans after the split?

My main point is that the most senior kenshi left BSKF and Mr. Mizuno.
    (Cailey Barker also left, I do not know about the rest on your list).
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast