Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koryu in Los Angeles, CA?

Likes (received)

Default Ono-ha itto-ryu in Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone know where there's a dojo that teaches ono ha itto-ryu in Los Angeles or close to there? Someone who was taught by Sasamori Takemi or close to that. A website and complete address would be greatly appreciated.

thank
    you

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Los Angeles, CA?

Hi all,

I'm aware of several (orthodox) koryu that are being taught/studied in the LA area at this time:

Ono-ha itto-ryu hyoho
    Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Tendo-ryu naginatajutsu
    Kashima shinryu budo
    Shindo muso-ryu jojutsu

I was wondering if there is anyone I'm missing or forgetting? Part of the reason I'm asking is I may have a training hall opportunity open, but the group would need to be legitimate and not-for-profit. Contact me via PM if a location in the San Gabriel Valley is of any interest. In big cities like LA, I know first hand that it is very hard to find an appropriate training venue for koryu study.

Either way, feel free to post additional arts represented in LA to this thread.

Thanks,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Hi Nathan,
    Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu has a branch dojo with licenced instructors in Lakewood.

Kenshinyokan
    http://www.shinyokai.com/dojos2.htm
    http://www.shinyokai.com/DojosDetails.php?DojoID=53
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

Hi Doug,

Thanks - long time no see. I didn't realize there was a branch outside of Orange County.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Indeed, ohisashiburi.

This is basically the same group as it's evolved over time - Rich Elias, John Lovato and others. Toby is there teaching publicly about once a year. He'll be there on the 27th.
    http://www.shinyokai.com/SeminarsDetails.php?EventID=47
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!