Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying a new car

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    ...One thing does puzzle me about diesel. ...diesel fuel is about the easiest & least expensive to produce. So why does it cost about US$1.00 per gallon more at the pump?
    Your degree in Petroleum Engineering won't help with this one, it's all about Economics: law of supply and demand, perceived value, and all that stuff. ;-)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

For VWs, the higher-end ones are made in Wolfsburg. I have an R32 that has been relatively trouble-free except for a couple of recalls. The service from the local dealership has been outstanding.

I've heard good things about the new Dodge Dart (the reworked Alfa Romeo Giulietta) but other than that I wouldn't consider a Dodge/Chrysler product unless they have really upped their attention to detail in recent years. In fact my friends, family and I have had such bad experiences with the local Big 3 dealers over the years that it would take a lot for me to consider a purchase, regardless of actual car origin.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

I've been finding out that the lower end models of most manufacturers are made in places like Mexico or Canada, while the higher end models are often made in their country of origin. But again, that being said, the Chevy Suburban I just sold cost me $33,000 back in 2002 (new), and it was made in Mexico. It seems that some manufacturers make some of their higher end models in other countries for some reason. My pet theory is that if you lease a vehicle, they give you American made (they are responsible for repairs, and may have to re-sell the car if you give it back at the end of lease), but if you negotiate your way down to a very good deal, they give you a car made somewhere else. I suspect the actual dealer cost of a vehicle made in the US compared to the same vehicle made in another country is different.

I originally was looking at a couple of Dodge models, but when I asked mechanics about them they strongly discouraged me from buying Dodge due to low quality workmanship and quality. Too bad. I always hit up mechanics about a car before buying.

Anyway, Ford is doing really well right now, and their current model Mustang is very highly rated in reviews. That's the direction I ended up going, and I'm REALLY happy!

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    I've been finding out that the lower end models of most manufacturers are made in places like Mexico or Canada, while the higher end models are often made in their country of origin.
    Some of the exceptions are interesting. For example, the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car were made in Canada before their demise, and the Chrysler 300 is still made there. In fact, the current Lancia Thema (not the older Type 4 model Thema) is just a rebadged 300 made at the same Canadian plant.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

PheekaJabal Guest

That is very good sharing and i liked this very much.....
    I am new to this forum and I am very happy to be the part of such family......
    Let me know more about this community...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2